Languages: English, French, Swahili
Highest Degree: Masters
Experience: 30 years
Sectors: Civil Society & NGOs, Health, Humanitarian Aid & Emergency, Monitoring & Evaluation, Training, Programme & Resource Management, Research
Address: Ruwenzori Apt #B6, Nelson Mandela Ave, Box 82298-80100 Mombasa, Kenya
- 25 years of clinical, public health, disaster and programme management, M&E and research experience with Ministries of Health, local and international NGOs, consulting firms and academia in Eastern Africa, Nigeria, Mozambique, Afghanistan, MENA and USA.
- 15 years programme management: Led/supervised complex refugee health project; emergency flood operation; post-disaster recovery and mitigation; HIV, TB and malaria projects for general and key populations. Cultivated effective collaboration with national and county health authorities through quarterly coordination meetings.
- 15 years M&E system development and management: data quality review of Kenya’s programme monitoring systems for HIV, TB, RH and Blood Safety; harmonized national and program HIV indicators, tools and procedures; designed/rolled out grant performance frameworks and electronic medical recording systems; onsite data verification, routine progress monitoring versus set targets and best practices; value for money, risk and impact assessments; developed/rolled out of service delivery/reporting tools for key populations plus indicator review for DHIS2 reporting;
- 7 years of solid United Nations experience: in collaboration with other UN Joint Team members for outcome indicator on key populations: formulating strategies, work plans, budgets and target setting, with national programme alignment, rigorous monitoring and reporting of pillar outcome and output results, dissemination of lessons learnt/best practices.
- Extensive research expertise, including: disaster vulnerability and capacity assessments; public awareness surveys; malaria and malnutrition prevalence surveys among displaced children; diarrheal disease and hemorrhagic fever surveillance; evaluation of emergency health response and adolescent sexual and reproductive health programme; cohort studies of female sex workers and people living with HIV; key populations size estimations and behavioural surveys; implementation science on leakage in HIV treatment cascade.
- Excellent technical writer: Primary editor of Public Health Guide for Emergencies. Authored: Kenya and Tanzania bomb response; risky behaviours of sex workers; compendium on best practices in drug prevention, care and treatment; Kenya’s national HIV M&E and research framework and annual health sector HIV report 2009.
- Capacity building expertise: trained hundreds of health workers on HIV testing and counseling, adult and paediatric ART, harm reduction. Also mentored at least 50 government and non-government staff on emergency/disaster response, strategic planning, grant writing, programme management, monitoring, evaluation and research including data analysis, reporting, abstract writing and presentation.
- Empowered civil society organisations implementing harm reduction to design, implement and monitor livelihood assistance programmes for recovering drug users.
- Clinical experience in medicine, surgery, prenatal, maternity, postnatal and newborn care for inpatients and outpatients in resource-limited settings and private practice.
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in English and Kiswahili and computer literacy.