Job Title: Risk Management Specialist – Integrity and Fraud
Sector: Ethics, Integrity or Anti-Corruption
Position Type: Consultancy, Short-term
Duration/Level of Effort: One year, to be determined
Position Location: Remote, with possibility to travel to South Africa
SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT
Cowater is implementing the Strengthening Ethics and Integrity Project (SEIP) in South Africa. SEIP is a collaboration between the Government of South Africa and the Government of Canada to increase accountability, efficiency and transparency of the public administration in delivering gender responsive services to the South African public. SEIP’s main counterpart and beneficiary is the Department of Public Service and Administration (DPSA). SEIP is providing technical assistance to support the DPSA in the design and operationalisation of a new specialised Ethics, Integrity and Discipline Management Technical Assistance Unit (PA-EID-TAU) within the department. The PA-EID-TAU is responsible for supporting the public administration at the national, provincial and municipal levels in improving ethics and integrity. Cowater is supporting the research and design of the unit and will pilot its various services and operations and will support the initial implementation across government. Technical support is being provided to DPSA in areas relating to Ethics, Protected Disclosures, Conflict of Interest, Investigations, Lifestyle Auditing, Risks and Advocacy/Communications.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Cowater International has an immediate part-time position available in the Strengthening Ethics and Integrity project (SEIP) in South Africa. As a key player in the SEIP multidisciplinary team, the incumbent will assist PA-EID-TAU to improve and strength its Risk Management Process particularly toward Ethics, Integrity and Fraud for the three spheres of government (National, Provincial and Municipal).
The expert will contribute strategical inputs, development of a procedure, providing analysis and strategic counsel or recommendations in there are of expertise. Contribution to the development of training material related to Risk Assessment might be required.
The incumbent must possess a proven knowledge of Risk Assessment matters especially in Ethics, Integrity or Fraud, have a good analytical capacity, excellent communication and organizational skills.
Working with SEIP technical experts and the DPSA, the Consultant will play the following roles in relation to Risk Management Assessment:
- Review of existing documentation on of Risk monitoring and relevant body (such as Risk Committee)
- Identify generic and specific Red Flags in terms of Integrity and Fraud
- Develop a risk assessment approach and a draft strategy in order to capture existing or additional data (executive document)
- From the strategy, develop a procedure template to facilitate risk self-assessment in Ethics and Integrity per department
- From the procedure, develop a complementary assessment form template (such as in Excel) to be filled by departments to capture information
- Initiate a Heat Map
- Other related work
- The proposed individual should have at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, ideally a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline. A relevant discipline means a degree in: Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or industry-related area required.
- Completion of professional development courses related to: Risks, Fraud, Integrity, Forensic Accounting, Investigation, Lifestyle Audits and relevant fields.
- 3 years
Consultant is required to possess knowledge in:
- Risk Management Principles (and mitigation)
- Risk Management Framework
- Red Flags in Ethics, Integrity and Fraud
- Integrity and Fraud
- COSO ERM or others
- Understanding of Integrity and Fraud Risk Management including emerging industry risks and trends.
- Strong critical and analytical thinking
- Excellent communication skill (verbally and in writing)
- Ability to conduct process and practices review with recommendations
- Efficiency to conduct research in laws, regulations and other documentations
- Demonstrate leadership in order to change culture, processes, methods or implements changes
- Excellent written and spoken English and virtual presentation capabilities.
Language Proficiency: English - Native / Bilingual Proficiency
Candidates are encouraged to apply by June 17th, 2022/as soon as possible.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
Cowater International is an equal opportunity employer, basing employment on merit and qualifications as they relate to professional experience and position expectations. Cowater does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, disability, age, or any other basis protected by law.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is a global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our yearly award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies since 2017. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Northern and Sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, the Caribbean and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.