EnCompass LLC is seeking a Senior-Level Lead Evaluator for a USAID Mid-Term Evaluation Of The Activity "Rule Of Law And Culture Of Integrity" in Paraguay. The evaluation seeks to analyze the effectiveness of the Activity, referring to the institutional strengthening of Higher Education Institutions in research and/or technical analysis, to identify the expected and unexpected results achieved, why and how they were achieved, the processes followed and the limiting factors that may be affecting implementation. The evaluation will also analyze the contribution of research to improving the rule of law and will identify lessons learned to support learning and decision-making for future programming. The results of this evaluation will provide information for the design and updates of activities and projects, as appropriate.
The evaluation will apply a participatory approach of the different actors, according to the role they play in the Activity. It will include qualitative methods including in-depth interviews and focus groups with key stakeholders which will incorporate the opinions and perceptions of the various groups of actors identified. An online survey will also be applied to reach out to teachers and young professionals collect their perceptions.
The duration of this consultancy will be no longer than 46 days, between June and November 2022.
We are looking for a professional with proven experience leading evaluation teams, use of mixed methods of data collection and analysis, and facilitation of participatory processes in virtual contexts.
Experience as a senior evaluator in evaluations of the Latin American educational sector, institutional strengthening and/or public sector reform, preferably in higher education, is highly desirable.
The consultant must be fluent in Spanish. English conversation and writing skills preferred.
The consultant should have work experience in Latin America, with higher consideration to experience in Paraguay
The consultant must have work authorization for the United States, Peru, Brazil, or Paraguay and with availability to travel to Paraguay as needed.
- Lead / manage the study team made up of a consultant specialized in higher education public state reform, and/or anti-corruption, and an evaluation assistant.
- Ensure that the evaluation complies with the established schedule.
- Participate in meetings with the USAID/Paraguay and MELS team to formulate the evaluation design.
- Prepare the evaluation design that includes the proposed methodology, the data collection instruments, and the fieldwork schedule.
- Organize the data collection according to the methodology (literature review, in-depth interviews, focus groups). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, data collection is expected to take place virtually.
- Conduct in-depth interviews with key stakeholders.
- Supervise data coding and analysis.
- Participate in meetings with the MELS team during data collection, as needed.
- Validate the preliminary findings in a participatory meeting with the MELS team and other relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare a preliminary report following USAID standards.
- Prepare and facilitate the validation workshop of lessons learned and co-creation of recommendations
- Finalize the report integrating comments and feedback received, which must be written in English, following USAID standards.
About the project
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning for Sustainability (MELS) is an Activity of the United Agency for International Development mission to Peru (USAID/Peru), implemented by EnCompass LLC and its partner, All In for Development.
MELS provides support to USAID/Peru and USAID/ Paraguay in the design and development of evaluations and studies to improve the use of evidence and learning for decision making (Component 1); strengthens the monitoring, evaluation and learning capacities of USAID partners and government institutions to consolidate their monitoring and evaluation systems (Components 2 and 3); and technically assists USAID and partners to improve collaboration, learning and knowledge management for sustainability (Component 4). This includes technical assistance to develop and use gender-transformative tools and resources to achieve gender integration and social inclusion in planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Professional with a doctorate or master's degree in social sciences, political sciences, economic
sciences, or other areas related to the subject of the call for proposals.
Experience and Skills
- At least 15 years of experience leading qualitative evaluations or as lead evaluator in Latin America.
- Experience as lead evaluator in multi-actor evaluations in education, preferably in higher education, institutional strengthening and./or public state reform is highly desirable.
- Include titles and links to evaluation reports as lead or responsible author.
- Experience in the use of mixed methods: design of data collection tools, supervision of data collection using virtual methods, data analysis and preparation of evaluation reports.
- Experience in facilitation participatory evaluation processes.
- Fluency in Spanish (written and spoken). Professional proficiency in English (writing, reading/listening)
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter to the following email address: PMConsultants@encompassworld.com with the subject line: ROLCI Lead Evaluator.