WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, assisting 115.5 million people in 84 countries by delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. Food and food-related assistance lie at the heart of the struggle to break the cycle of hunger and poverty. WFP operated in eastern Ukraine from 2014 to 2018, reaching more than one million people through cash, food vouchers or locally purchased food rations, while operating in both government- and non-government-controlled areas.
WFP is currently engaged in a large-scale response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.
Under the general supervision of the Head of Administration, Head of Fleet in coordination with Management Services Division, the Driver responsibilities ranging to provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities and has a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and WFP procedures.
The duties required of the successful Candidate shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Provide transport shuttle service between Ukraine Lviv and Poland Rzeszow using medium size buses
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorised destinations.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
- Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorisations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by:
- Checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tries, etc.;
- Performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs;
- Ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean at all times.
Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including:
- Vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Maintenance of accurate fuel logs
- Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Performs other related assignments as requested by supervisors
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license/certification (EU class D or equivalent licence (“bus licence”) to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
Experience: Three or more years of bus driving experience as a driver, preferably in an international organization, Embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, buses, vans, trucks, and other kinds of motorised vehicles.
Experience in defensive driving with AV training and AV/B6 certification is highly desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads and conditions, and security issues.
- Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, safety devices, etc.).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
- Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
- Ability to operate in fast fluid environments with limited resources.
Languages: Must be fluent in oral and written English and the local language.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
Job title: Driver (Bus Driver)
Type of contract: SC2
Duty Station (City, Country): Rzeszow, Poland
Duration: 3-6 months, renewable