SNV Netherlands Development is one of the largest Dutch not-for-profit development organisations with operations in more than 25 countries Asia, Africa and Latin America. SNV aims to lift up incomes and access to basic services. We make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty, helping them raise incomes and access basic services. Driven by the Sustainable Development Goals, we are dedicated to a society in which all people are free to pursue their own sustainable development, and no one is left behind. This commitment to equity directs us to focus on gender and youth.
We apply our know-how to deliver results at scale worldwide. We do this through our local presence and know-how to realise effective solutions and our specialised expertise on agriculture, energy, and water. Our projects directly benefit millions of people. At the same time, projects drive systems change, which helps many more people work their way out of poverty, well beyond the scope of projects. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation, implementing our mission exclusively through project financing. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence every day.
To realise SNV’s vision for “a world where across every society, all people live with dignity and have equitable opportunities to sustainably thrive”, SNV’s Agri-Food sector will support the transition to a sustainable and resilient agri-food system that delivers food security and adequate nutrition for people in all their diversity, in such a way that the economic, social, and environmental bases are safeguarded for future generations. Through its projects, SNV’s Agri-Food Sector will address food availability and accessibility challenges for vulnerable populations, while improving incomes, addressing inequalities, and building food-system resilience for a climate-uncertain future.
The Global Sector Head steers the sector globally, ensuring the development of (new) tools and approaches, monitoring quality of projects being implemented and coordinates positioning of SNV in the sector globally. The GSH manages multi-country PMs and functionally steers the Global Sector Team and Country Sector Leaders in line with global sector strategy in order to improve global sector performance. Works in close collaboration with the Global Sector Team Manager and Country Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Leads the sector by continuously improving and implementing a clear vision and strategy. Underpins SNV strategy and its plans and goals with global sector knowledge and a global sector strategy. Positions SNV and the sector to attain impact which reflects SNV's aim for development and level of specific sector knowledge. Represents the Sector at relevant external events and in relevant networks. Identifies and acts on external trends and opportunities for investments, aligned to sector strategy, within delegation of the Managing Director.
Builds, maintains and utilises a network with relevant global stakeholders in sector partnerships. Represents SNV and ensures a high level of visibility, actively identifies positioning opportunities in line with the global sector strategy. Feeds the Business Development Team with sector information, provides technical guidance and steering to Prospect Teams, conducts quality assurance checks and acts as Technical Lead for key multi-country project proposals within the sector.
Sets global performance standards and benchmarks (in- and external). Together with the Global Sector Manager, ensures global coherence in services/products development and delivery within the sector.
Advisory Services and Project Cycle Management
Provides advice and support to relevant projects and programmes, including backstopping, theory of change etc. Steers and gives direction to Project Managers in the sector to improve overall sector quality.
Knowledge and Innovation
Together with the Global Sector Team Manager develops a vision on knowledge and knowledge development strategy/agenda, stimulates and facilitates the sharing and application of knowledge and innovation within and across countries and Sectors.
- Master’s degree in a relevant technical field;
- Proven track record with over 10 years of experience in the agri-food sector in an international, multi-country context, including advisory work and knowledge development;
- Profound technical knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: agri-food systems, sustainable and resilient food production, agriculture value chain development, integrated landscape management, climate change adaptation, nutrition sensitive value chains, public-private partnerships;
- Excellent track record in technical supervision of projects and project portfolios; Proven ability and experience of mobilising resources from the public and private sector;
- Credible international track record and expertise in designing and implementing programmes;
- Excellent social and networking skills, the ability to engage with governments and the private sector including influencing skills and experience of working effectively in a matrix organisation;
- Strong international networks within the agri-food sector;
- Sound experience within knowledge development, organisational learning and innovation;
- Entrepreneurial, result-oriented and driver for change
- Visionary and able to strategically inspire and energise teams;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English and French is required.
- Contract Type: Full-time, Dutch employment Contract
- Contract Duration: 2 years with a strong possibility for extension
- Desired Start Date: ASAP
- Information Duty Station: The Hague, Netherlands
. Travel to Projects: Approximately 30% (Covid Permitting)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts across sectors. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 10th of July 2022 by clicking on the link: I'm interested. All information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of two people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -