DRS (DevelopmentAid Recruitment Solutions) is looking for a Health and Nutrition Sector Lead in Afghanistan for an international NGO that promotes the overall goal of helping children develop to their full potential. We are actively searching for an advisor to senior management in designing the health and nutrition strategy that fits within the broader Humanitarian Strategy by ensuring timely consultation with affected populations, including children, adolescents, and youth. In addition, the holder will lead the resource mobilization efforts for the health and nutrition sectors to achieve the strategic directions set out in NGO’s health and nutrition Sectors Strategy. Additionally, s/he will be a core member of the new Nigerian management team and contribute to the establishment of the policies and procedures, development of new projects, stakeholder outreach, and capacity building.
Job Title: Health and Nutrition Sector Lead
Location: Herat or Kabul, Afghanistan; ability to travel up to 60% domestically to project sites; with occasional international travel
Duration of contract: 1-2 Years
Starting date: As soon as possible
About the organization:
The employer represents an international NGO that strives to ensure all children: experience good health; are educated for life; are cared for, protected, and safe.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
Strategy Alignment & Program Development
- Lead the development and alignment of NGO Afghanistan health and nutrition Technical Approaches and Technical Programs with the National Office Strategy and Our Promise.
- In coordination with the programme development team, take the lead in designing new health, and nutrition-specific projects and provide technical inputs to all new project proposals/concept notes.
- Together with the Program development team, meet donors to preposition for new program ideas and models based on evidence.
- Conduct a regular situational analysis of the sector and give recommendations back to NGO Afghanistan management to make decisions on future priorities.
- Ensure the participation of Women, Men, Girls, and Boys (children, adolescents, and youth) in developing and implementing strategies that address crucial health and nutrition priorities, including participatory assessments.
- In close collaboration with the Ministry of MoPH, the Department of Public Health directors at the provincial level and other health and nutrition partners, identify innovative approaches that will increase access to quality health and nutrition services for all children, women of childbearing age, and other vulnerable groups.
- Maintain the membership and regular participation in the health and nutrition clusters and other technical working groups and contribute substantial technical inputs representing NGOs in the development of various plans, guidelines, and standards.
Project Implementation, Monitoring, and Reporting:
- Provide leadership to ensure the overall technical quality of all NGO Afghanistan health and nutrition programming, both through direct efforts and through mentorship and coaching of field-based Projects.
- Ensure all programming and implementation follows NGO Afghanistan’s standard technical approaches to each sub-sector, uptakes donor, international and country-specific guidance, minimum requirements, and global best practices.
- Support DM&E to develop assessment, monitoring & evaluation tools to measure health and nutrition issues including providing technical support; Build staff capacity on health and nutrition standards and guidelines.
- Work with DM&E to strengthen accountability mechanisms that ensure reporting channels are accessible to different gender, ages, ethnic, and disability groups.
- Review grant progress reports and M&E reports are ensuring compliance with NGO expectations and donor requirements.
- Provide technical leadership to health and nutrition sector-related research, case studies, learning reviews, and publications for NGO Afghanistan, and as part of NGO Regional / Global initiatives relevant to Afghanistan or fragile contexts.
- Advice and support NGO Zone and Project Managers who directly manage and implement health and nutrition projects to ensure quality implementation that meets International and NGO standards and donor requirements.
- In conjunction with the M&E focal persons, lead action research and impact assessments and recommend changes to achieve quality impact.
- Strengthen good relationships with existing donors, and explore potential donors who focus on the health and nutrition sectors.
- Lead in developing, adapting, and contextualizing health and nutrition standards and guidelines including IEC materials.
- Provide guidance/support to FRAMES consortium and other projects that have health and nutrition components, ensuring that NGO and all partners implement health and nutrition interventions in line with industry and donor standards.
- Conduct periodic supportive supervision initiatives for all health and nutrition projects to provide technical backstopping and monitoring.
Advocacy, Networking, and External Engagement:
- Provide ongoing, quarterly context analysis on national ministerial changes/humanitarian context and/or opportunities for policy influence, particularly on health and nutrition sectors, in coordination with technical coordinators.
- Plan and implement relevant health and nutrition advocacy initiatives at a national level with support from leadership.
- Review, further develop and implement NGO’s health and nutrition advocacy strategy.
- Analyze the government’s health and nutrition policies that may further or constrain efforts in increasing access to health and nutrition services and develop strategies/actions to respond to them.
- Build relationships with the Regional Offices (RO), Support Offices (SO), and Global Centre (GC) in areas related to the health and nutrition sectors.
- Showcase the good practices of NGOs in health and nutrition programme to internal and external audiences that promote the good work and reputation of NGOs.
Organizational and Staff Capacity Building:
- Provide technical support to recruit health and nutrition-related and other technical staff (i.e., JD review based on existing standard JDs, technical short-listing, technical interviews, etc.).
- Develop and revise health and nutrition capacity-building plans and share them with P&C.
- Review, update, and, where necessary, develop contextualized training or other guidance material for health and nutrition field staff based on project needs and assessment findings.
- Facilitate key health and nutrition training packages as recognized by cluster/sub-cluster.
- At least 7 years of technical health project management experience, preferably focused on maternal, newborn, and child health and nutritio
- Experience in donor-related program design and proposal development, including grant acquisition with public and private donors such as USAID/BHA, ECHO, FCDO, Canadian DFATD, Australian DFAT, etc.
- Experience leading technical t
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity, and physical stami
- Understanding the recent National Health and Nutrition updates of MoPH is essent
- Experience in target geographies and a Solid understanding of the realities and complexities of working in hard-to-reach areas and with disadvantaged gro
- Good organizational and time management s
- Ability to work within and meet donor deadlines and reporting requirement
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills and detail orientatio
- Ability to work in and contribute to the team-building environmen
- Understanding of gender issues, including at the
- Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduc
- Understanding of and commitment to World Vision call and aspiratio
- Master’s degree in public health, nursing, or at least a medical degree.
- Prior experience in managing health and nutrition projects.
- Past experience in leading technical teams, the minimum size of managed staff - 15 people
- Strong experience in advocacy and resource mobilization.
- Prior experience in a fragile context.
- Excellent computer skills, including thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), internet use and outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English
Applications and updated CV should be submitted to email@example.com, under the title: DRS ref. number 11297. Due to the high number of applications received via DevelopmentAid website, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only. Please note that the above requirements can be modified during the recruitment process according to client's procedures.