SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy, and Water, Sanitation and Health (WASH) to local contexts. SNV has over 1,300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its current Strategic Plan (2019–2022), SNV is explicitly aiming for structural change and scale in its programmes in the agriculture, energy, and WASH sectors, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at the country level to contribute to systems change. We position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Within the Energy sector, SNV is a facilitator of commercially viable markets for renewable energy products and services for households and SMEs. SNV provides advisory services to private, public and non-governmental organizations for improved access to energy for underserved populations within rural, peri-urban as well as urban areas.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Energy portfolio Lao PDR
SNV Lao PDR has been implementing the third phase of the Mekong Improved Cook Stove (ICS) project funded by the Energizing Development (EnDev) for the last six years. The current phase of the EnDev Improved Cook Stove Project (July 2019 - June 2023 is designed to optimise the local production (quality assurances, testing, research and development) and marketing of existing Tier-2 stove models by expanding production and distribution into new provinces in Northern Laos and thus providing national coverage; create demand and strengthen the capacity of supply-side actors to market Improved Cook Stoves (ICS); and improve enabling environment to increase the uptake of the ICS.
SNV Lao PDR is also implementing the CQuest Capital (CQC) supported carbon project under VERRA, a standard that helps the private sector, countries, and civil society achieve ambitious sustainable development and climate action goals. Under this investment plan, 56,250 cookstoves will be disseminated across the country in 2022-23, in areas where market forces cannot foster a supply of ICS due to remoteness and high poverty levels.
SNV is working with the local partner Association for Rural Mobilisation and Improvement (ARMI) to implement both projects.
Overview of the Position
The Country Sector Leader Energy will work as the Project Manager for both the Improved Cook Stove projects and guide the overall implementation and strategic development of the SNV’s Energy sector program in Lao PDR. S/he will assure the quality of project portfolio implementation, provide effective line management of energy sector staff, provide technical content leadership, steer the quality of technical advisory services, provide technical backstopping and coaching to the project team, liaise with donors and support resource mobilisation. S/he will lead strategic portfolio development to expand SNV Lao PDR’s energy work in new areas and enhance the visibility of our Energy programme, and position SNV within the national Energy sector. The Country Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with SNV’s Global Energy Sector team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country-level energy sector strategy aligned with corporate Energy sector strategic frameworks;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV Energy Project Managers and Advisors, local service providers and consultants;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with sector stakeholders to enhance SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Business Development: seek opportunities, develop project concept notes, proposals (country and multi-country programs) and secure funding for future energy projects;
- Country Office Management: Contribute to SNV Lao PDR country office management as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Project Cycle Management
o Ensure the project work plan is implemented, per the SNV project management procedures, accounting principles and donor requirements.
o Formulate and implement Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) plan; ensure data collection and management, risk monitoring and reporting.
o Involve in specialised research and development initiatives such as efficiency assessment of cookstoves, eCooking devices.
o Manage administrative, finance and procurement aspects of projects per SNV’s Contract Management & Project Accounting requirements.
- Knowledge, documentation and communication
o Ensure full synthesis, analysis and documentation and sharing of project insights and results.
o Participate in knowledge and learning events and take advantage of best practices and lessons learnt in the region and globally; create a culture of knowledge sharing and learning in the project.
o Promote the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt from the project for organisational sharing and learning and external information.
- Network and Relationship building
o Build and maintain effective relationships with the government and local authorities, other programme countries, external partners, and donors.
o Ensure that the critical sector functions (marketing, quality assurance, training, extension) are sustainably embedded in national policy and practice.
- Capacity Building
o Render technical assistance to the field staff and help them solve problems.
o Support to enhance core competencies of staff and stakeholders for required works, including leadership development, action planning, program development and implementation, evaluation, social marketing, and fundraising.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in Energy, Environment, International Development, Project Management, MBA or related field;
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in managing and implementing multi-faceted, donor-funded development projects/programmes, preferably with focus on Energy in Southeast Asia;
- Academic and/or professional experience in implementing Improved Cook Stove and climate-smart initiatives would be an added advantage;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large-scale energy projects;
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated program design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Strong relationship management skills;
- Proficiency in English language;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking, and organisational skills.
Contract Type: Full time, International
Contract Duration: One-year initial term, with strong possibility of extension, contingent on funding availability.
Expected Start Date: Preferably 1 September 2022 but negotiable
Information Duty Station : Vientiane, Laos
Travel to projects : Frequent travel to the project sites in the provinces
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts across sectors. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 27th of July 2022 by clicking on the link: I'm interested. All information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of two people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement