Food for the Hungry is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an upcoming five-year USAID-funded Accelerating Reductions in Adolescent Childbearing (ARaC) program in Bangladesh. The program will focus on four key objectives: 1) Increased Ability of Adolescents to Exercise Their Right to Delay Marriage and Early Childbearing; 2) Strengthened Social Support to Delay Marriage And Early Childbearing; 3) Strengthened Essential Services for Adolescents and Their Families; and 4) Institutionalized Effective Solutions. The program will have a duration of five years and will begin its implementation in 2023.
This position is contingent on approval of the Accelerating Reductions in Adolescent Childbearing (ARaC) grant.
All we do, and how we do it, seeks to promote God’s beauty, goodness, and truth in a broken world. As such, we are defined by our ability to make people’s lives measurably better; our ability to deliver impact is the measure of our collective success. For we know that we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God has already prepared in advance for us to do. At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of values called Heartbeat Values.
The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee the implementation, compliance, financial management, security, operations, and logistics of a USAID-funded program in Bangladesh. The DCOP will work closely with the Chief of Party to oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget. The DCOP is responsible for training and mentoring staff on policies and procedures, donor regulations, new systems, and financial best practices, as well as working closely with the Chief of Party and US-based personnel to ensure compliance with all donor regulations and effective and proactive management. In addition to programmatic duties, the DCOP will provide senior-level oversight of all program support functions including, but not limited to - operations, MEAL, and regulatory compliance.
• Working closely with the Chief of Party in the design, rollout, and daily management and implementation of program activities.
• Oversees the design, development, planning and implementation, and provides oversight and ensures technical quality of the program’s technical strategies and activities.
• Ensure that the Activity is implemented with a one-team approach, ensuring that all operational and programmatic coordination among consortium partners is streamlined, consistent, and conducive to a single, coherent program.
• Establish standard operating procedures (SOPs), including tools and templates, to guide effective, efficient, and compliant administration/HR, sub-awards, transfers, procurement, and logistics operations functions across all levels and partners.
• Facilitates the preparation of project deliverables, including annual work-plans, quarterly and annual reports, final project report and project activity updates, and other project-related communication and reporting materials in accordance with USAID deadlines and branding guidelines.
• Supervises a multidisciplinary project technical team, ensuring clear roles and responsibilities and clear lines of communication.
• Manages strategic/technical engagement with consortium partners.
• Collaborates with monitoring, evaluation, research and learning team and operations, compliance, and finance staff in achieving program objectives.
• Contributes to the design and support implementation of thought leadership activities.
• Serves as the acting Chief of Party in the absence of the Chief of Party.
Representation and Coordination
• Act as the focal point of FH Country Office to coordination, and build positive relationships with key counterparts, such as from USAID, Government of Bangladesh ministries and divisions (e.g., Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Women and Children Affairs), other international implementing partners, and local NGOs.
• Organize learning and sharing opportunities between project and external stakeholders on a regular basis.
• Promote program results and organizational interests in national program and policy forums.
Staff management, development, and security
• Oversee the hiring, orientation, and training of key staff to build a technically strong, well supported, motivated team.
• Identify and facilitate opportunities for staff professional development by providing adequate mentoring, clear orientation, feedback and learning opportunities.
• Prepare employee job descriptions, performance plans and performance appraisals for project staff.
• Ensure appropriate duty of care provisions are in place for all staff and visitors, with particular attention paid to security concerns
Other duties as assigned.
Job Level Specifications
• Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian beliefs.
• Demonstrated experience implementing highly adaptive programs, including developing and implementing program strategies in complex and evolving operating environments, in close coordination with multiple stakeholders, including implementing partners, civil society organizations, and funders.
• Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with civil society partners, government institutions and private sector partners.
• Demonstrable experience with management and/or administration for USAID cooperative agreements and/or contracts, including experience managing sub-awards, rapid response funds, OTI funds.
• Demonstrated computer-operating skills, including proficiency in Google platforms, Microsoft Office products, and virtual technologies such as Skype and Zoom.
• Proven program leadership, adaptive management, project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
• Advanced level MS Excel and knowledge of the financial application Sun Systems.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
• Ability to travel up to 25% of time per year, within Bangladesh to project sites and overseas (if needed).
• At least 8 years demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of international development activities, with preference given to Health and adolescents activities.
• At least 3 years of experience in senior program management, with focus on financial compliance and directly supervising administrative, finance, and/or operations staff.
• Knowledge of USAID rules, regulations and policies, particularly financial reporting, and compliance requirements.
• Prior experience in awarding and managing grants to local organizations.
• Advanced degree in a relevant field such as business administration, finance, accounting, and international development.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Directly supervises the program MEAL, Program and Finance Manager. Carry out responsibilities include supervising, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, resolving problems, etc.
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the Heartbeat Values, safeguarding, and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
Typically, successful candidates are hired at a salary rate up to midpoint of the range, based on relevant experience, internal equity, and budgetary allowances.
Insurance - Health, Disability, Life
Paid holidays, vacation, & sick leave
Pension, available on first of month after date of hire
An application and CV / resume through our online system is required. Click here to access our system.