Who we are
PSI is a network of locally rooted, globally connected organizations working to achieve consumer-powered healthcare — people-centered health systems that ensure quality, affordable care wherever and whenever it is needed. Our origins in sexual and reproductive health have grown into a broader mission. Today, we work with the public and private sectors as well as local communities, prioritizing people’s voice and choice and developing solutions to meet their essential health needs. Over the past five decades, we have helped push boundaries, break taboos, set trends, and develop innovative solutions to complex global health challenges.
Population Services International (PSI) is looking for a Temporary and part-time French speaking Research Associate to support the Strategic Research & Learning team in the Strategy & Insights department. The team is made up of a diverse, fun, and highly skilled group of researchers, technical writers, and knowledge management professionals, and would offer the successful candidate opportunities to work across a wide range of PSI’s projects with a diverse set of country teams. PSI’s research portfolio revolves around the organization’s programmatic work and one of our responsibilities is to support in-country research teams with IRB submissions and compliance, study documentation including protocol development and review, data analysis (quantitative and qualitative), donor reports, and manuscript writing. The research associate would support ongoing research in francophone and anglophone Africa
$60,000 (MINIMUM) - $71,000 (MID-POINT) - $82,000 (MAXIMUM)
For US-based candidates, the annual base full-time salary range is reflected above. * We value transparency and have provided the full salary range for this role. Actual base salary compensation will be determined by factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, experience, internal equity, external market analysis, and other business factors permitted by law. Hiring above the mid-point of the range would not be typical to allow for potential future salary growth. PSI offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes health care, retirement plan, generous leave, as well as other great benefits. For more information, please ask your recruiter or visit https://www.psi.org/careers/ to learn more!
*For all applicants applying outside of the US; please note that those hired outside of the US will be employed through the local PSI office. Pay and benefits will be commensurate with the role and practices of the local office, including payment in local currency.
- Research: Assist research advisors in conducting qualitative and/or quantitative data collection, coding, cleaning, and analysis, which may include conducting literature reviews; developing protocols and surveys; supporting participant/site recruitment; conducting interviews and note-taking; and using the appropriate scientific approaches and software (e.g., STATA, SAS, or similar software). May include translating training materials and study documents from English to French 30% of Time
- Program Management: Provide coordination and management support for research studies, including developing and tracking project timelines, activities, and deliverables. 25% of Time
- Knowledge Management/Compliance: Coordinate Annual Research Plan (ARP) updates and Standards for Excellence and Program Success (STEPs) verification process. Support verification of various research documentation and insights capture. Assist Work with REB to ensure ethical guidance is up to date and communicated. Document non-compliance. May also include management of team/project SharePoint page. 25% of Time
- Representation: Take notes during internal and external technical meetings. Draft statements of work and coordinating inputs from research consultants. Coordinate external webinars or internal webinars with external guests. 10% of Time
- Fundraising: Assist with new business development opportunities by drafting and compiling components of a proposal and providing support such as editing and formatting. 10% of Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change. This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (e.g., MPH, MSc, MPP, MPA).
- At least 1 years of related experience. Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
- Qualitative research design and analysis experience, including development of protocols, interview / FGD guides, codebooks, and use of analytic software (e.g., Nvivo, Atlas.ti, etc.)
- Quantitative research design and analysis experience, including: development of survey tools, programming surveys into ODK or similar systems, data management, quantitative data analysis and visualization.
- Proficiency in the use of statistical software packages (i.e., STATA, SPSS, SAS) and/or qualitative data analysis software (i.e., Dedoose, Invivo).
- Research Ethics training required.
- Ability to learn and comply with established processes, organize, and accurately maintain records, identify problems, and suggest improvements, and tackle challenges.
- Ability to manage time through shifting priorities and tight deadlines.
- Collaborative, willing to cooperate with and support team. Able to work as a member of a team and independently.
- Exhibit flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365, high level of knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficiency in French preferred.
- Cultural humility and respect.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.