Reporting to the Executive Secretary, the Senior Manager, Communications will be required to provide communication support to all Departments of the Foundation with a view to articulate effectively and communicate and position the Foundation as a key player in capacity development in the most effective and timely manner.
The Senior Manager, Communications will provide strategic media, communication, and social media advice to senior-level staff at the ACBF in the development of plans, matters of brand risk, crisis communication and to maximise communications impact. This role will profile ACBF’s work at different media and in wider communications to support ACBF’s public engagement including fundraising and influencing goals.
To encourage the innovative culture, this role will strengthen innovative communications models and channels, including the use of both traditional and new, emerging methods, to engage in more impactful ways with and within a range of constituencies.
The ideal candidate for this role thrives working within a team structure, sharing information and insights, and engaging in ongoing intellectual exchange. The incumbent must be comfortable building bridges between academia, non-profit, government, and private corporate sectors. He/she should have experience in designing, planning, and implementing media and communication products, and in managing people and processes.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a strategic communication plan with goals that align communication goals with overall business objectives, that secures high-impact media to help raise ACBF’s profile on core issues and raise funds.
- Work with colleagues in ACBF to deliver high impact stories for use in Africa and global markets for traditional and social media, to showcase ACBF’s work or highlight key influencing issues by generating compelling stories for use in media, social media, and wider communications including in support of fundraising and influencing objectives.
- Attend or participate in Management, Executive and Board Meetings in order to detect opportunities or advise on potential issues before they arise.
- Provide strategic advice to ACBF to ensure projects are media-friendly and have the communications products needed to amplify messages.
- Oversee media monitoring initiatives which helps to develop the organisation’s reputation further by keeping track of how the ACBF is being portrayed in the media, and by whom, and advise the leadership on key messaging and advance thought leadership.
- Support The Executive Secretary in managing media crises and emergencies, and by advising on internal and external communication issues and opportunities, including media representation, media monitoring, preparation of briefing notes and speeches to be delivered by the Executive Secretary
- Respond to the news agenda in Africa and globally. to identify opportunities to profile ACBF objectives and identify risk.
- Conceptualize, plan and implement the Foundation’s internal and external communications and communication policies to enhance the Foundation’s visibility, brand and identity.
- Evaluate the impact of media projects and provide regular reporting for decision making.
- Oversee the drafting, production and dissemination of information materials, multimedia products such as photo galleries, videos and audio materials.
- Maintain editorial oversight and quality control of all communication outputs, including online content, press releases, newsletters, and media kits, success stories ensuring that the Foundation’s goals, key messages and objectives are clearly articulated.
- Provide communication support to high level events organized by ACBF or to which the Foundation participates to ensure all the target audiences are reached.
- Formulate and manage social media platforms with particular consideration to increasing stakeholder engagement and visibility.
- Undertake activities to strategically position the organization by identifying and creating opportunities to raise the visibility of ACBF through planned media strategies, press conferences, interviews and other special speaking opportunities and events.
- Work closely with Heads of Units and Managers to identify success stories in all areas and publish them accordingly to enhance ACBF’s external visibility.
- Supervise the maintenance of an updated events calendar.
- Identify effective and innovative channels of information dissemination on the Foundation’s work and successes for an appropriate audiences.
- Identify opportune events, networks, contacts that provide the Foundation the platform to participate in and contribute to key capacity development issues and communication.
People and Resource Management
- Manage the Communications Officer and any interns assigned to the Communications team according to ACBF’s leadership and feminist principles.
- Identify communication development needs for staff in other departments, plan and organize trainings accordingly.
- Chair or participate at regular meetings with program and influencing team, to align and update on key communication/media issues.
Desired Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
· Advanced university degree in Communication, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
· A minimum of ten (10) years of experience at multinational or international level in communications and with an established track record and portfolio in communications, branding web management and social media skills.
· Strategic Thinking: The ability to think strategically and align communication goals with overall business objectives is crucial. This includes developing communication strategies, understanding target audiences, and identifying key messages.
· Excellent Written and Verbal Communication: Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential. Being able to write clear and concise messages, create compelling content, and effectively convey information to different audiences.
· Media Relations: Developing and maintaining relationships with media outlets, journalists, and influencers.
· Crisis Communication: Managing and mitigating potential damage to the organization's reputation. This involves creating crisis communication plans, responding quickly and appropriately, and disseminating accurate and timely information.
· Digital and Social Media Expertise: Proficiency in digital and social media platforms. The candidate should understand the latest trends, use analytics tools, manage social media accounts, and create engaging content for online channels.
· Project Management: Handle multiple projects simultaneously. Plan, organize, and execute communication campaigns effectively, ensuring they are delivered on time and within budget.
· Analytical Skills: Being able to analyze data, measure the impact of communication efforts, and make data-driven decisions. This involves using analytics tools, monitoring media coverage, and evaluating the effectiveness of communication strategies.
· Adaptability and Flexibility: The communication landscape is constantly evolving, so a communications manager should be adaptable and open to learning new tools, technologies, and strategies. Being able to adapt quickly to changes is essential.
· Branding and Marketing Knowledge: Understanding branding principles, marketing strategies, and positioning. They should align communication efforts with the organization's brand identity and marketing objectives.
· Storytelling: Being able to craft compelling narratives that resonate with employees, donors, volunteers, and beneficiaries is essential.
· Donor Relations: Building and maintaining relationships with donors. The communications manager should have the skills to engage with donors, cultivate relationships, and effectively communicate the organization's impact and funding needs.
· Community Engagement: A communications manager should be skilled in engaging the local community, building partnerships, and fostering a sense of involvement and support.
· Advocacy and Public Policy: Skills in public policy analysis, lobbying, and understanding the political landscape are valuable.
· Multilingual: Fluency in English and French is mandatory. Fluency in an additional language (Arabic, Portuguese) would be an immense advantage.
· Must be self- initiating, ability to work independently, high work standards with strong organising, work planning and scheduling skills; ability to manage large volumes of assignments accurately and thoroughly without losing focus.
· Ability to make objective decisions and problem-solving abilities, high level of confidentiality and ability to handle sensitive issues
· An intellectually curious but humble leader with a high degree of compassion, able to engage, enable and inspire.
· A hands-on approach to all activities with real passion and high levels of energy. Agile and comfortable adapting to different environments.
· Creative and resourceful in overcoming barriers and unexpected roadblocks. Courageous in spirit, driving change through innovation.
· An authentic leader who intuitively engenders an inclusive environment, enabling program to reach its ambitious goals.
· Possesses high personal standards of ethics and integrity towards employees, stakeholders, and beneficiaries.
· Diversity of thought and experience. Continually seeks new perspectives and feedback, takes an inclusive approach,
· High levels of learning-agility with a real interest in the capacity building ecosystem.
· Entrepreneurial and comfortable with ambiguous and change-led environments; self-confident with an authentic style that gravitates to championing change.
· Eager to seek a challenge and expand frontiers; brings a visionary approach. Sets and meets a high bar of goals and principles.
· Servant leadership mentality, deeply committed to serving and listening to others. Natural ability to build strong relationships and enable collaboration through empathy and authenticity.
· Committed to building a community through ACBF’s principles.
The African Capacity Building Foundation offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Foundation provides a very generous package of benefits.
|About the African Capacity Building Foundation For more than 30 years, The African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) has been building human capital and institutional capacity for Africa’s sustainable development. With membership from 40 African Countries, the African Development Bank, the United Nations Development Program, The African Union, and The World Bank, ACBF is the leading institution for capacity development in Africa. While serving all actors, ACBF recognizes the importance of and pays attention to improving the effectiveness of Africa’s public sector institutions at local, national, regional, and continental levels to become effective systems integrators and catalyzers of sustainable and transformative change.Since its creation in 1991, ACBF has trained over 50,000 personnel in civil service, most of whom hold key positions in Ministries of Finance, Planning or Economic Development and Central Banks across the continent. The Foundation has established a network of over 50 think tanks supporting evidence-based policymaking across Africa and conducted numerous policy research/analyses, which have been critical in informing economic management and establishing benchmarks for success.ACBF’s strategy for the next five years focuses on responding to the current and future needs identified by member states such as, Climate Change and Energy for productive use, Agribusiness & Food sovereignty, Trade as an engine of economic development, and Economic & social Governance.The Foundation currently maintains offices in Accra, Addis Ababa, Harare and Nairobi.|
To apply for this position please submit in confidence a resume and a cover letter that details why you are a good fit for this position quoting the reference “ Senior Manager, Communications /10/2023 by 26 June 2023 to;
The Executive Secretary
The African Capacity Building Foundation
P.O. Box 1562
Please note, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
The African Capacity Building Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer