Enabel is the Belgian international development agency. Our mission is to build a sustainable world where all live under the rule of law and are free to thrive. With our partners, we offer solutions addressing pressing global challenges – Climate Change, Social and Economic Inequalities, Urbanisation, Peace and Security, Human Mobility – and promoting Global Citizenship.
We have over 20 years' experience in areas ranging from education and health care to agriculture, environmental protection, digitalisation, employment and governance. Enabel’s expertise is eagerly sought-after by partners around the globe – ranging from the Belgian government, European Union institutions, governments of other countries and the private sector. We work with civil society, research institutes as well as businesses and we foster fruitful interaction between development policy and other areas.
With over 2,100 staff, Enabel manages over 200 projects in more than twenty countries, in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
Enabel is recruiting 9 innovative and entrepreneurial Programme Managers to manage multidisciplinary teams and complex projects in one of its 20 countries.
As Programme Manager, you report to the Enabel Representative in the country to which you are assigned. You are responsible for managing a number of projects and achieving results as part of the cooperation programme in the country concerned.
You are responsible for a team of several Project Managers and work closely with a team of financial managers and staff specialising in public procurement and contracts.
· You coordinate all projects in the country concerned, in collaboration with the Project Managers and the various partners involved in these projects,
· You lead the teams of which you are the supervisor,
· You ensure operational excellence and inspire your teams to think outside the box and achieve concrete results,
· You are responsible for the integration of the various projects and, in particular, for ensuring that they work well together and that synergy is optimised and resources are pooled,
· You ensure optimal use of available resources whilst having Enabel rules and procedures respected,
· In addition to operational management, you also contribute to strategic thinking to support Enabel's approach in your country of assignment, or more widely.
· You have excellent leadership skills and inspire your colleagues with a clear vision and caring and adaptive coaching.
· You can ensure the global follow-up of several projects simultaneously, assume responsibilities and take decisions.
· Your profile also meets the qualification, experience and competence criteria set out below.
· A Master's level degree.
· Convincing experience of international project management, whether in the international development sector or the private sector,
· At least 5 years of experience in team management,
· Professional experience in a multicultural environment.
Required skills and knowledge
· You have an excellent vision and understanding of current global issues,
· You are an excellent unifier and facilitator,
· You have in-depth knowledge of project management methodologies,
· You can develop and manage inter-institutional relations (networking),
· You have excellent skills in coordinating, leading and mobilising various players and partners,
· You are result-oriented,
· You are fluent in spoken and written French or Dutch. Because of the international context of the job, excellent mastery of French and English is required.
· You are fully prepared to work abroad in Enabel's present and future partner countries, and in particular to work in difficult contexts. It is important that you commit to start working within months after being proposed the position.
You commit to respecting the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
· A job at the heart of our multidisciplinary teams, working on high-impact development projects
· A training and support path linked to the job
· An employment contract of between 3 and 5 years, extendable
· A salary package that comprises monthly gross salary in accordance with our salary scales (Class 7 - function of reference: Portfolio Manager) and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, coverage of housing expenses (capped), a moving and installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member, etc.
· In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Apply here at the latest by 10 December 2023 and include your motivation letter and updated CV.
Only applications submitted via the above link will be considered.