Chemonics seeks a Finance Manager for the USAID Empower Southern Africa (ESA) project. ESA is a 5-year regional program that covers South Africa, Lesotho, Eswatini, Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Madagascar, Comoros and Sao Tome and Principe. The primary purpose of ESA is to increase the availability of, access to, and use of affordable, reliable, sustainable and clean energy in Southern Africa in order to reach measurable development outcomes. Measurable development outcomes include economic growth, reducing poverty, improving livelihoods, and increasing inclusive access to electricity-enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation, and food security. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people and communities around the world.
- Prepare and submit deposits and wire transfer requests
- Issue checks of payment for processed transactions, logs payments, distribute and/or mail checks to the appropriate vendor
- Review project staff timesheets and processes monthly payroll
- Calculate and processes any tax payments, when appropriate
- Liaise with local accounting firm in performing local financial management and the appropriate local accounting reporting needed
- Prepare and maintain all the project financial reporting for the South African and participating countries’ authorities. Ensure that all financial transactions and practices related to program activities in the region adhere to USAID and local Governments regulations
- Review, process and enter expenses into ABACUS (Chemonics accounting system) and provide supporting documentation for expenses entered
- Review petty cash fund, including disbursing of funds, recording expenses, ensuring receipts are received, and following Chemonics’ custodial procedures
- Collect and review employee expense reports for accuracy
- Prepare and submit monthly accounting reports to the home office, respond to questions from home office accounting unit and project management unit
- Maintain transparent and audit-proof record keeping systems per Chemonics’ policies
- Obtain documentation and approval for all transactions and ensure payments are done on time
- Research the status of particular invoices/payments, as required
- Submit recommendations for standard exchange rate to HO every month
- Support achievement of the overall project goals as required ensuring project performance
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Operations
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance or related field. Master’s degree is preferred
- At least five years’ experience in financial and administrative management for large donor funded development projects is required.
- Experience in bookkeeping and accounting required
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple responsibilities and tasks
- Possess excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills;
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Minimum three years’ experience with a USAID-funded project is strongly preferred
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail required
- Demonstrated versatility, leadership, and integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
How to apply
Please submit an application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30th, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.