Senior Employability and Labour Markets Expert
Ecorys, one of Europe’s largest economic and social development consultancy firms, is hiring a Senior Employability and Labour Markets Expert to join its Ankara-based project team providing Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Assistance to the EU’s Facility for Refugees in Turkey (SUMAF).
Turkey is currently hosting the highest number of refugees in the world, with over 4 million mainly Syrian refugees residing in the country. In 2016, the EU launched the Facility for Refugees in Turkey to allow for the effective and efficient mobilisation of EU assistance to address the needs of refugees and their local host communities. The EU has to-date committed €6 billion to implement over 100 large projects covering a range of areas including health, education, basic needs, livelihoods, municipal infrastructure and social cohesion and is currently programming a further package of support. The projects are implemented by a wide range of government agencies, bilateral and multilateral development agencies, as well as international and national NGOs.
The SUMAF project supports the EU Delegation in Ankara and the Facility’s Secretariat in Brussels in the conduct of the monitoring of the performance of the Facility. As part of this work it conducts regular project review missions to the projects and also provides M&E advisory and capacity-building services to the project implementing agencies.
As part of its strategy to implement its second phase, SUMAF is strengthening its in-house sector expertise in the area of Livelihoods through the recruitment of a Senior Employability and Labour Markets Expert. This is an exciting opportunity to join a small and highly dynamic team which is working very closely with the EU Delegation in Turkey and the Facility Secretariat in Brussels to implement the EU’s support to the Government of Turkey in responding to the world’s largest refugee crisis.
The Employability and Labour Markets Expert will be responsible for implementing the following key tasks:
- Maintaining an overview of policy and sectoral developments within Turkey within the Employability and Labour Markets sector and providing appropriate technical advisory inputs to the EU Delegation as required;
- Researching and co-authoring the Facility’s bi-annual Facility Monitoring Report;
- Supporting the implementation of the system for performance reporting by the project implementing agencies to the Facility and analysing the resulting data and information in order to understand project and sectoral performance issues;
- Reviewing project M&E system documents and performance monitoring frameworks (e.g. logframes) prepared by project implementing agencies and providing advice to both the EU Delegation and the implementing agencies;
- Coordinating the planning and implementation of SUMAF’s project review exercises and participating where appropriate as a mission team leader or member;
- Quality assuring draft project review mission reports produced by consultants or other SUMAF team members;
- Production of other communication products related to the performance of the Employability and Labour Markets sector and its portfolio of projects (e.g. Briefing Notes; Factsheets);
- Provision of technical inputs to the design and execution of surveys conducted by SUMAF to support the monitoring of the Facility’s performance;
- Contributing to training, coaching and lesson learning activities; and
- Provision of technical inputs to other SUMAF products.
In the conduct of this work the Senior Employability and Labour Markets Expert will lead on the development and management of SUMAF’s relationships with the EU Delegation as well as other institutions relevant to the Facility’s work in the Employability and Labour Markets sector (such as Turkish ministries; national and international NGOs, UN agencies and other multilateral development agencies).
- Indicative start date: ASAP
- Indicative end date: December 2024
- Place of posting: Ankara, Turkey
- Missions to the field: Yes
Deadline for submission of CVs
20 May 2022
Key Skills and Qualifications
- University Masters (or higher) degree in a relevant field;
- At least 10 years’ experience providing technical assistance through development programmes or projects in the Employability and Labour Markets sector;
- At least 5 years’ experience in the conduct of project reviews/evaluations or in the design and implementation of programme/project monitoring systems (including the development of performance monitoring frameworks/logframes);
- Experience of working with or for large donor organisations such as the EU;
- High level of fluency in written and spoken English;
- Proficiency in Turkish would be an asset but is not required;
- High level client and counterpart engagement skills, including tact and diplomacy;
- Experience of working in dynamic, multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams; and
- Familiarity with the Turkish public administration would be an asset but is not required.
To apply for this position, please email your full CV and accompanying cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight (Ankara time) Friday, 20 May 2022. Please indicate in your cover letter where you saw the ad for this position.