The State Agency for Water Resources at the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic is an authorized executive body responsible for state regulation of water management and use.
The objectives of the Agency include:
- implementing integrated water resource management;
- ensuring sustainable management and efficient use of water resources and water management infrastructure, water supply and sanitation facilities;
- ensuring efficient interstate cooperation in the area of water management and use and regulating other water-related relations. The main tasks of the Agency are as follows:
- regulate relations in the area of water management and use;
- elaborate and implement programs for development of irrigation, water supply and sanitation infrastructure;
- develop international water cooperation of the Kyrgyz Republic.
All functions of the Department of Water Resources and Land Improvement, budgetary financing, property, documentation and staff members were transferred to the State Water Resources Agency by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food Processing and Land Improvement of the Kyrgyz Republic.