Jun 22, 2021 2:42:30 PM
The submission session is now available for: HORIZON-CL4-2021-RESILIENCE-01-14(HORIZON-IA)
Development of more energy efficient electrically heated catalytic reactors (IA)
TOPIC ID: HORIZON-CL4-2021-RESILIENCE-01-14
Programme: Horizon Europe Framework Programme (HORIZON)
Call: A DIGITISED, RESOURCE-EFFICIENT AND RESILIENT INDUSTRY 2021 (HORIZON-CL4-2021-RESILIENCE-01)
Type of action: HORIZON-IA HORIZON Innovation Actions
Type of MGA: HORIZON Action Grant Budget-Based [HORIZON-AG]
Deadline model: single-stage
Planned opening date: 22 June 2021
Deadline date: 23 September 2021 17:00:00 Brussels time
A shift from fired- to electrically-heated catalytic reactors, powered by renewables will lead to a large decrease in CO2 emissions, coupled with a significant process intensification. As currently reactors are kept at high target temperatures in industrial-scale catalytic processes with energy supplied by the combustion of fossil fuels, substitution of fossil-fuel-derived heating with emissions-free alternatives will substantially contribute to the greening of large industries. This requires the re-design of the reactor and in parallel with the development of novel catalysts as well as integration of up and downstream processes to operate with optimal energy efficiency and product yield.
Projects are expected to contribute to the following outcomes:
- A breakthrough reduction in carbon footprint for a given reaction (CO2 emission reduction > 40%, demonstrated by LCA or similar studies);
- Demonstrate a significant process intensification (a reactor size reduction of > 50% with respect to the state-of-the-art conventional approach) and industrial scalability;
- Environmental and techno-economic feasibility of novel catalytic reactor technologies and catalyst materials demonstrated and validated at suitable scale against current industrial processes to produce the same products;
- Integrated development methodology of catalysts and reactors for an optimized design up to pilot unit of novel catalytic reactors with significant carbon footprint reduction and allowing relevant process intensification, while maintaining cost competitiveness;
- Advanced catalytic reactor concepts to operate in synergy with alternative energy resources like e.g. non-thermal plasma.
Relevant indicators and metrics, with baseline values, should be clearly stated in the proposal.
Proposals should address an integrated development of:
- The next generation of industrially scalable and robust reactor technologies and associated catalytic materials for an electrified chemical production with an optimized design, up to pilot unit;
- Environmental and techno-economic impact studies should be part of the objectives to demonstrate the industrial feasibility and integration within the value chain of production and use of renewable energy sources.
- Solutions allowing the combined use of renewable energy resources with process intensification should be investigated in order to optimise energy efficiency, product yield and purity as an integrated part of the total process.
Proposals submitted under this topic should include a business case and exploitation strategy, as outlined in the introduction to this Destination.
Where synergies are possible with projects from topics HORIZON-CL4-2021-RESILIENCE-01-16, HORIZON-CL4-2022-TWIN-TRANSITION-01-15, HORIZON-CL5-2021-D3-02-03, and HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-03-03, cooperation activities are encouraged.
The topic is open for international cooperation, while excluding industrial competitors from countries where the safeguarding of IPRs cannot be guaranteed
Specific Topic Conditions:
Activities are expected to start at TRL 4-5 and achieve TRL 6 by the end of the project – see General Annex B
SWD(2021)97 final, Report on the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights in third countries (2021)