SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia and Africa. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV explicitly aims for structural change and scale in its programmes, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at country level to contribute to systems change. We will continue to position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org.
Overview of project
In line with the strategic priorities of Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Burundi, the Projet D’appui au Développement Agricole pour la Nutrition et L’entreprenariat - PADANE project contributes to improving food and nutrition security for poor rural households and increased food availability and security in Burundi through inclusive value chain sector development, youth employment, women empowerment, and enhanced food and nutrition security.
The project combines a market-based approach with intrinsic motivations of participating rural households. It ensures an impact on employment creation and economic opportunities through (i) the development of inclusive value chains and inclusive finance, (ii) empowering resource poor households, women and youth with improved food and nutrition security, and (iii) promoting climate resilience in market-oriented farming systems, villages and value chains.
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager the “Access to Finance Advisor” is responsible for strategic oversight, leadership and advice in the area of access to finance, design and management of the inclusive finance component of the PADANE project.
- Providing strategic oversight and leadership of the Access to Finance (A2F) component of the project.
- Developing and/or supporting opportunities for access to finance in the different value chains supported by the project and overseeing the implementation of the project’s inclusive finance strategies. Setting up systems to create and/or strengthen the linkages between the Financial Institutions (MFIs, banks) and other financial services providers with the producers/farmers/value chain actors seeking financial services
- Preparing the workplans and budget for the project’s A2F component and monitor and report on its performance
- Providing overall support to the Innovation Fund component of PADANE, and in particular:
o Analysing the technical and financial viability of business plans proposals
o Supporting and guiding partners in coaching and assessing business plans by SMEs
o Developing tools to support financial management by SME’s
o Ensuring that financial solutions promoted by the project are inclusive of women and youth in particular.
- Developing and implementing activities to improve the investment climate in Burundi
- Working in close collaboration with the other areas of the PADANE project: Youth employment, nutrition, IVCD, gender, among others.
- A relevant qualification (master’s degree) in Agri economics, Development economics, Business finance or related field.
- At least 10 years’ experience in Value Chain Finance, SME Finance and rural Microfinance, preferably in rural Africa.
- Experience developing and implementing new financial products, with financial sector partners.
- Proven track record in networking and dialogue facilitation with private and public sector actors.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity development.
- Sound experience in knowledge management.
- Able to strategically inspire and energise multi- partner project teams.
- Strong strategic decision-making and communication skills including reporting and presentation skills.
- Team player
- Fluency in both written and spoken French and English is required.
- Since this is an international position we are seeking a non-Burundian nationality
2 year full-time international employment contract, with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date:
as soon as possible
Bujumbura, Burundi, with frequent travel to project areas
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the above profile, we invite you to apply by submitting your CV with a motivation letter in English via SmartRecruiters before April 15th, 2022.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted