UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Women’s leadership and political participation is one of UN Women’s primary areas of work as mandated in its inception, recognizing the integral role of women in strong and stable democratic processes. To promote the leadership and participation of women in all levels of decision-making processes, UN Women works with a range of stakeholders including women leaders and aspiring candidates, national parliaments and parliamentarians, political parties, media, civil society organizations, and electoral management bodies, in coordination with UN partner Entities, through a wide range of interventions which include: i) support gender responsive legal reforms, and institutional processes to advance women’s participation and representation (including initiatives to address violence against women in politics); ii) build capacities of women leaders and aspiring candidates; iii) promote change of gender norms through advocacy and outreach initiatives targeting communities, political leaders and the media; iv) and support women leaders in gender responsive political institutions.
The UN Women Kyrgyzstan Country Office is supporting a national study on Violence against Women in Politics. The study will document experiences of women in politics, with a particular focus on assessing obstacles to women participation in electoral processes held in Kyrgyzstan in 2021 i.e. the elections to Local Councils in April 2021 and the elections to the Parliament in November 2021.
The study has the following objectives:
Create data on the prevalence and types of VAWP faced by women candidates that can inform evidence-based solutions.
Create opportunity for dialogue between women leaders, elected officials, political parties, civil society, electoral management bodies, the media, and other stakeholders on violence against women in politics in Kyrgyzstan via the convening of survey result launch events and an evidence-based solutions co-creation workshops on VAWP.
Create momentum for further work on addressing VAWP through evidence-based solutions in Kyrgyzstan through the activities and by reporting on recommendations, priorities, partnership opportunities and lessons learned during the national dialogue on VAWP.
UN Women Kyrgyzstan CO is hiring a National Coordinator. Under the overall guidance and direction of the UN Women Programme Specialist, the Coordinator provides coordination and programme management support, including planning, implementing, and coordinating interventions with multiple stakeholders ensuring successful implementation of the Violence Against Women in Politics (VAWP) project in Kyrgyzstan.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Coordinator will provide the technical support and coordination required to implement the tasks under the (VAWP) project in Kyrgyzstan, including:
Support overall coordination and implementation of all components of the VAWP candidate survey in Kyrgyzstan
Develop a detailed workplan and timeline for the implementation of the study in close coordination with UN Women team, and later coordinate this with a research company.
Coordinate and oversee the processes of contracting the research company for the implementation of the quantitative components of the study, and national and international researchers to support the implementation of certain components of the study
Support the establishment of and lead the coordination of the technical team and Reference Group for the study in close collaboration with the UN Women team.
Participate in and provide administrative support in the coordination of the Technical Team meetings, including note-taking and scheduling, as requested.
Lead and oversee the implementation of the workplan of the study in close coordination with UN Women and research company and expert team to ensure the timely implementation of the different components of the study.
Review and provide quality control of deliverables submitted by the research company and experts.
Coordinate and provide organisational support to the process of background research and review of legislative and policy framework on VAWP in Kyrgyzstan.
Provide support to National Expert in contacting relevant organisations/partners for mapping of existing quantitative and qualitative approaches in collecting data on VAWP in the context of Kyrgyzstan.
Coordinate and manage the process of conducting series of consultations with stakeholders relevant to preventing, mitigating or responding to VAWP in Kyrgyzstan.
Support the process of development of Research tools and methodologies (quantitative data collection tools, including a questionnaire and interviewer's manual; Sample design for quantitative data collection), especially coordinating the collaboration between the national and international research experts and the research company.
Coordinate and provide support the process of field data collection (Quantitative data collection; Qualitative data collection)
Support in the preparation of a comprehensive report and advocacy materials.
Coordinate the process of launching of the report and follow-up actions and lessons learned and knowledge sharing
Provide regular updates and coordinate the meetings of the Technical Team which comprises of UN Women Kyrgyzstan Country Office, ECA Regional office, and UN Women HQ.
Ensure linkages of VAWP process with other programme areas of UN Women KYR, including EVAWG, WEE, WPS and gender statistics, as part of new SN and UNSDCF development process
Coordinate planned actions with partners, including through GTG, EGTG and other platforms
• Respect for Diversity
• Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
• Creative Problem Solving
• Effective Communication
• Inclusive Collaboration
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Leading by Example
• Strong knowledge in ending violence against women and gender
• Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
• Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets
• Good knowledge of Results Based Management
• Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
• Good networking skills
Key Performance Indicators:
• Timely and quality programme strategies and contributions
• Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget, workplans and the Programme Document
• Partners and other stakeholder provide positive feedback on technical services
• Quality reports and timely submission
• Quality of advocacy, communication and knowledge management initiatives
• Strong relationships with donors, partners and other stakeholders
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
• Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required.
• A first-level university degree in combination with seven additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
• At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
• Experience in gender equality and women rights and empowerment is required;
• Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
• Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
• Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset.
• Fluency in English is required
• Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
• Knowledge of Kyrgyz is an asset.