EnCompass LLC is seeking Senior Knowledge Management and Communications Manager candidates, to be proposed to help the USAID-SERVIR Chief of Party and to oversee content development, communication channel oversight (including work related to servirglobal.net and all social media channels or online resources/tools), and the design and implementation of an annual in-person conference as well as a number of smaller in-person or virtual community of practice technical exchanges.
SERVIR is a USAID and NASA partnership that strengthens the talent and capacity of partner countries to integrate Earth observation information into environmental and natural resources management decision-making across key sectors, with a focus on climate-resilient outcomes, including improved climate change adaptation and mitigation. This unique program delivers on development objectives by integrating NASA’s world-class scientists and data with USAID’s development expertise and network of partners and relationships around the world.
The Senior KM/Communications Manager supports USAID’s Bureau for Resilience and Food Security (USAID/RFS) by increasing the SERVIR network’s communication and engagement efforts, knowledge curation and sharing, and website management. This individual has a strong background in team leadership for demand-driven strategic programming and knowledge sharing in global development.
Qualified candidates based in the Washington DC metro area will be given first consideration, but this full-time role could remote within states where EnCompass is registered in the US. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Project Management and Supervision
- Provide project management and operational leadership and oversight for a diverse team of technical subject-matter experts and communications/KM professionals
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of KM and communications elements of the project, in compliance with EnCompass and U.S. Government (USG) policies and procedures
- Supports the COP in the development and implementation of an overall vision and leadership for the project and the project team, in coordination with counterparts in USAID/RFS and other stakeholders
- Support the Chief of Party with technical and management responsibility for all KM and Comms related project personnel, with direct line management of technical specialists, and ensure their professional development
- Oversee all KM and Communications related sub-agreements and coordinates partner and consultant efforts in KM and Communications related program implementation.
- Maintain strong, collaborative, and supportive communications with colleagues, and maintain high quality relationships and communications with clients, partners, subcontractors, and consultants
- Serve as acting chief of party if/as needed
- Provide subject-matter expertise/technical direction in area(s) related to the project (climate and environmental sciences, KM, monitoring and evaluation, and learning, and/or strategic communications)
- Lead development of and monitors the efficient and effective implementation of work plans and budgets; and ensure appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations
- Lead the response to the specified KM and communications related deliverables, oversee contracts and subcontract agreements, ensuring timely achievement in full compliance with contractual requirements
- With technical specialists and/or communications team members, serve as managing editor for content on the SERVIR website; directing/overseeing drafting and editing of all project communications and KM outputs and internal project reports and other documents, as required
- With other team members conceptualize, convene, and facilitate high-level convenings with the project’s diverse stakeholders
- International Travel to visit partners and attend convenings, as needed (less than 20%)
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events, and providing administrative support to other team members as needed
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree and 7 years’ experience or a Master’s degree and 5 years’ experience required. (Associate’s degree and 9 years’ experience, or High School and 11 years’ experience will also be considered)
- Areas of preferred study include strategic communications, knowledge management, journalism, climate or environmental sciences, global development or a related field
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex technical concepts into plain language and visually compelling messages; able to communicate with a variety of audiences with a high degree of cultural humility
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in strategic communications, KM, and/or an understanding of the climate sector and USAID and its partners’ needs for information related to sector programming
- Project management experience with at least 5-7 years in the implementation and management of large communication and KM projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID policies, Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) management tools, procedures and approaches related to program design/implementation, budgeting, and monitoring and evaluation
- Background in the use of data for decision making, data visualization, and data analytics is a plus
- Excellent critical thinking, decision-making
- Fluent English writing and speaking skills required
- Experience building the capacity of USAID projects and stakeholders on how to communicate and report on their progress and successes is highly preferred
- Proficiency in a second language (i.e., French, Thai, Wolof or Hindu-Kush) desired
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application online.