The Technical, Operational, and Program Support (TOPS) project is a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded institutional support contract for USAID’s Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation (DDI). Through this contract, EnCompass provides technical assistance to USAID in support of the Agency’s climate, environment, energy and infrastructure efforts. This is an exciting time to be supporting climate efforts at USAID and an opportunity to take an active role in combating the climate crisis around the world.
EnCompass LLC is seeking an Agriculture and Climate Change Program Specialist to support USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA). The Program Specialist will help to ensure that programs align with administration priorities on climate change and will be responsible for tracking and communicating evidence related to the impact of BHA climate-smart agriculture activities.
This full-time role will be fully embedded within USAID; however, the position can be remote within the US in states where EnCompass is currently registered. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Support the role of the agriculture advisors in the application process for USAID BHA funding:
o Ensuring application for funding is technically sound and developing guides and technical best practices that USAID can share with partners
o Reviewing emergency applications from NGOs, PIOs, and United Nation organizations based on an identified need in a disaster context
- Support the tracking of funds and impact by:
o Establishing a process to track the Climate Smart Agriculture related funding in Implementing Partner (IP) programs
o Identifying and incorporating measures for implementing partners to assess the impact of their programs
o Support building evidence-base for impacts of Climate Smart Agriculture and related practices on adaptation to and mitigation of climate risks
- Analyze and assess data from a variety of sources – including field assessments, technical data, and reporting from USAID field staff, NGOs, and PIOs – to help recommend appropriate humanitarian assistance programs, particularly in relation to Climate Smart Agriculture.
- Communicate the results of BHA’s Climate Smart Agriculture efforts via data visualizations, dashboards, or other reporting mechanisms
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of relevant experience. Or Master’s degree and 3-5 years of experience. Preferred areas of study include Agriculture, Horticulture, Natural Resource Management, Animal Science/Veterinary Studies, Biology or climate adaptation or mitigation, environment, or a related field
Experience and Skills
- Experience with the intersection of climate change and agriculture programs, particularly in the humanitarian assistance sector
- Experience with, or awareness of, stakeholder mapping, outreach, and engagement
- Experience tracking quantitative and qualitative data, including programmatic results gleaned from monitoring and evaluation efforts
- Ability to develop dashboards, data visualizations or other reporting products designed to communicate about program results
- Proficiency in Google Workspace
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate technical subject matter to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently as needed, while also having excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and engage effectively in a team environment, including with teams that span organizational divisions
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a facilities security clearance
- Expertise with environmental effects of the livestock industry preferred
- Experience with US government programs, and with USAID in particular is a plus
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the online application.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.