International Medical Corps, which has a history of providing healthcare services and training in Ukraine that dates back to 1999, is expanding its activities in the country and the surrounding region in response to the war there.
The situation throughout Ukraine is deteriorating rapidly as the conflict intensifies, prompting a sharp increase in humanitarian needs as access to essential services and supplies are disrupted and more and more people flee their homes. In addition, millions of Ukrainians have fled to neighboring countries, including Moldova, Poland and Romania, increasing pressure on host governments as they work to provide shelter and essential services to the new arrivals.
Our response activities will include operation of mobile medical teams and providing emergency and primary health services, mental health and psychosocial support, gender-based violence services, child protection, nutrition, and water, sanitation and hygiene. If requested, we also are prepared to deploy our Emergency Medical Team and mobile health facility to provide emergency and primary healthcare wherever it is needed.
The position is based in Ukraine and may require in country travel based on security.
Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, Measles and any other mandatory vaccine requirement (country dependent) prior to deployment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law. Applicants should be aware that for certain positions involving emergency deployments, accommodations that involve remaining unvaccinated against COVID-19 may not be deemed reasonable. International Medical Corps will engage in the interactive process on an individualized basis in light of each particular role.
JOB SUMMARY: The Senior Compliance Manager is a member of the Field Compliance Unit and is responsible for overseeing the country-level compliance officers and results of compliance reviews in the country of operation. Senior Compliance Manager manages, provides technical oversight and trains the compliance officers to ensure that compliance work is performed in accordance with the Ethics & Compliance Charter, country work plans, International Medical Corps policies & procedures and Donors' regulations.
Compliance is an advisory function having an independent status within International Medical Corps. The Senior Compliance Manager shall have dual reporting relationship; an administrative line to the Country Director and a technical line to the Regional Compliance Coordinator or Head of Field Compliance. The Senior Compliance Manager will be appointed by the Country Director on the recommendation of the Regional Compliance Coordinator and/or Head of Field Compliance. The Regional Compliance Coordinator and/or Head of Field Compliance also participate in the Senior Compliance Manager's performance appraisal (from the technical aspect) and in decision-making process in case of potential disciplinary measures, including staff dismissal. The Senior Compliance Manager shall have no executive or managerial powers, functions nor duties except those relating to the management of the compliance staff.
The Senior Compliance Manager promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps' and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation:
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ethics and Compliance Department Overarching Responsibilities
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance throughout the organization.
- Encourages transparency, communication, and teamwork related to the Ethics and Compliance Charter and its Department objectives.
Leadership & Management Oversight
- Manages, provides technical oversight, and guides the country-level compliance staff under her/his supervision (compliance officers) who conduct compliance reviews in accordance with the agreed country work plan.
- Prepares country work plan, which determine scope, sample size, timing and frequency of compliance reviews in the country.
- Assists management to effectively identify, document and mitigate compliance risks associated with program and operations activities.
- Reviews samples prepared by the compliance officers before compliance review starts.
- Monitors staff's progress; performs quality check and approves work deliverables performed by the compliance officers as required by the country work plan.
- Provides guidance and advice to compliance officers as necessary.
- In absence of compliance officers, conducts compliance reviews in accordance with the country work plan.
- Prepares and timely submits compliance reports with observations and recommendations for technical review to Regional Compliance Coordinator and/or Head of Field Compliance.
- Timely issues monthly and quarterly reports to country management.
- Ensures that progress made towards compliance recommendations and agreed actions plans is being regularly verified.
- Provides advisory services to country management on improvements and engages with other departments to support improvements in internal controls.
- Ensures that recordkeeping of compliance reviews kept on shared file is timely, accurate and complete.
- Participates in recruitment process of the compliance officers.
- Evaluates performance of the compliance officers.
- Proactively communicates results of compliance reviews and identified gaps with country management and supports corrective measures in real-time to avoid non-compliance.
- Prepares and provides necessary updates and reports on field compliance work as needed.
- Conducts regular meetings with compliance officers to discuss work plan, tasks, challenges and other matters as required.
- Maintains regular communication with key stakeholders at country and HQ level as required.
Capacity building and training
- Provides on-the-job training and support to the compliance officers.
- Works with other relevant departments on developing and providing Fraud, Bribery, Conflicts of Interest and other trainings to International Medical Corps staff and partners.
- Researches available sources and remains up-to-date on relevant trends and activities in the global compliance profession within the NGO community.
- Suggests changes to the policies and procedures and improvements to the systems.
- Assists management with remedying any gaps in internal control.
- Regularly participates in the regional compliance meetings.
- Assists Compliance Investigations Unit and country management with investigations upon their request and subject to approval of the Regional Compliance Coordinator and/or Head of Field Compliance.
Compliance & Ethics
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps' and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these standards to staff, if applicable, and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
Code of Conduct
As applicable to this position, an individual must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the organization and maintain a clear understanding of International Medical Corps' and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
If this is a supervisory position, one must set an example of ethical behavior through one's own conduct and oversight of the work of others; ensure that those who report to you have sufficient knowledge and resources to follow the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Ethics; monitor compliance of the people you supervise; enforce the Code of Conduct & Ethics and International Medical Corps' policies, including the Safeguarding Policy and the Protection from Harassment, Bullying and Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, consistently and fairly; support employees who in good faith raise questions or concerns.
It is all staff shared responsibility and obligation to safeguard and protect populations with whom we work, including adults who may be particularly vulnerable and children. This includes safeguarding from the following conduct by our staff or partners: sexual exploitation and abuse; exploitation, neglect, or abuse of children, adults at risk, or LGBTI individuals; and any form of trafficking in persons. Staff are also responsible for preventing violations to our Code of Conduct and Ethics, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any violations to the Code of Conduct and Ethics or Safeguarding Policy, you have an obligation to report.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
- Typically, a 4-year Bachelor´s Degree (in a three-cycle Higher Education) in Business Administration, Accounting, Risk Management or similar. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate;
- Master's degree in a relevant discipline preferred;
- Certification in auditing, grants management, risk and/or compliance management preferred;
- Typically, 8+ years of relevant experience working in related field, with at least 5 years in humanitarian relief or equivalent experience;
- Comprehensive experience in risk management, compliance and/or audit required;
- Comprehensive knowledge and working experience with USAID, EU, FDCO and other donors;
- Comprehensive knowledge of different types of instruments (grants, contracts, sub-awards etc.);
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with various business processes (such as Human Resources, Program Management, Financial Management, Supply Chain Management, Information Technology etc.);
- Strong communication including presentation skills
- Strong time management skills;
- Detail oriented, with a high degree of ethics, integrity, discretion and professionalism;
- Ability to handle sensitive matters on a confidential basis;
- Proven ability to gather, analyze and evaluate facts, define problems, draw valid conclusions and to prepare and present concise written reports in English;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Proven ability to effectively lead and coordinate staff;
- Ability to effectively train staff;
- Fluency in English with a proven ability to express himself/herself well verbally and in writing; Knowledge of French or Arabic is preferred;
- Ability to handle sensitive matters on a confidential basis;
- Ability to establish and retain effective working relationships with other staff and to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability and willingness to travel to country program locations as needed, often at short notice.
Misconduct Disclosure Scheme
All offers of employment at International Medical Corps are subject to satisfactory references and background checks. International Medical Corps participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme from the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response (SCHR). In accordance with this, we will request information from an applicant’s previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.