EnCompass LLC is seeking a Senior Strategic Communications Specialist to contribute to the Ukraine Monitoring, Learning, and Support (UMLS) Contract. The UMLS Contract (implementing period of 2020-2025) supports the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission in Ukraine in its Country Development Cooperation Strategy implementation. As part of the contract, UMLS is providing support to the development outreach and communications (DOC) component of USAID/Ukraine operations, including strategic advice and analytical support of DOC activities, capacity building, and communications materials production and dissemination.
In collaboration with the Strategic Communications Specialist, the Senior Strategic Communications Specialist will be responsible for coordination of UMLS activities related to development outreach and communications.
This position will be based in Kyiv, Ukraine with an option for remote work. Must be legally authorized to work in Ukraine without sponsorship. The position is full time with an expected duration of one year with possibility of extension.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain a constructive relationship with the Client (DOC team), being proactive in identifying their needs and offering creative solutions to challenges.
- Support the DOC Team and Mission technical staff to develop strategic messages about USAID/Ukraine programs for key audiences and decision makers.
- Guide and advise on the USAID Mission presence and campaigning on social media as well as monitor social media pages’ performance and assessing outreach.
- Review and assess USAID/Ukraine communication products, such as newsletters, fact sheets, reports, and social media posts and provide recommendations based on international and regional best practices for strategic and digital communication.
- Design, coordinate, and deliver capacity-building sessions on communications-related topics for the relevant Mission staff and implementing partners.
- Support the use of innovative tools and approaches to the production and dissemination of USAID/Ukraine’s communications products.
- Promote the application of findings from relevant analytical surveys and reports into the DOC-related processes and products.
- Guide the review and updating of the USAID/Ukraine Mission’s social media and communication strategies.
- Guide the selection and use of metrics to monitor progress in the implementation of the above strategies.
- Coordinate the work of local vendors or short-term consultants as required for achieving results (graphic designers, copyeditors, photographers, videographers, etc.).
- Contribute to related initiatives as assigned, including working as a full member of the Ukraine UMLSC team.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, professional writing, public relations, or a related field. Master’s is preferred.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience for master’s degree (+2 additional years for Bachelor’s), out of which at least 5 years of experience should be in communications, public relations, or mass media with governmental bodies, international development organizations, or relevant NGOs.
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian is required, Russian language skills are an asset.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies, plans, and activities.
- Ability to understand and translate complex information into key messages for clients, partners, and other target audiences.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for web and print platforms In English and Ukrainian. Ability to write compelling stories for internal and external audiences in line with Associated Press style guidelines.
- Experience training/mentoring others, advanced speaking and presentation skills in English and Ukrainian.
- Strong teamwork and client relationship management skills, including proactive engagement, creative problem solving and attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Ukraine-based UMLSC team, using communications to strengthen the impact of the team’s support for the Mission’s work.
- Familiarity with USAID branding policies and procedures with hands-on experience with communications in a USAID project strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop preferred.
- Proficiency with management of organizational/programmatic Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram accounts and analytics tools.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit CV and cover letter and complete the application