WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Type of Contract: SSA - Special service agreement
Duty Station: Karachi, Pakistan
Duration: 6 months
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University Degree in Environmental studies, Environmental sciences, Environment engineering, Public Policy or Social Sciences.
The job is based in Karachi.
The Directorate of Climate Change - Environment, climate change and coastal development (ECC&CDD), Government of Sindh developed the draft provincial policy of climate change which is presented to Cabinet for approval.
The objective of the Policy is to define a framework for sustainable socio-economic development in Sindh province that integrates the challenges of climate change in all sectors to improve the well-being of the affected populations. The policy provides a comprehensive provincial framework, guiding principal & strategic objectives inline with National policy of climate change for provincial efforts on adaptation & mitigation of climate change in relevant sectors like agriculture, water resources, forestry, wildlife etc. and will help in achieving targets pertaining to Climate Change adaptation and resilience building.
Consultant will be sitting in ECC&CDD office, Karachi and directly report to the Director General Environment, Climate change and coastal development as well as Head of provincial office, Karachi – UNWFP and will work in close coordination with Provincial Office - Programme Policy Officer Livelihood & Resilience and Programme policy officer livelihood at UNWFP - Country Office, Islamabad.
WFP is supporting the Environment, Climate Change and Coastal Development (ECC&CDD) by hiring a consultant for developing a robust and do-able implementation framework based on the approved policy of climate change and provide technical inputs for developing and implementing the action plan of climate change policy. Consultant will be identifying the entry points for WFP and other UN agencies into action plan.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute towards the development of a limited number of projects, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
2. Provide support to specific and defined programmes and projects of small to moderate size that are relatively straight forward in nature, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
3. Follow data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
4. Research and analyse policies and operational issues to support the developing of implementation plan of climate change and also in the development of policies, programmes and activities.
5. Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
6. Liaise with internal as well as external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration.
7. Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships for collaborative working leading to improved climate change adaptation mechanism.
8. Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through project management support of learning initiatives.
9. Provide guidance to support staff, acting as a point of referral and assisting them with analysis and queries.
10. Assist the ECC&CDD for drafting the presentation, briefing notes, letters, and other relevant document for developing the implementation frame of climate change and action plan for climate change policy.
11. Develop the Logical Framework for action plan, Prepare targets, timeframe, baseline, establishment of indicators, benchmarks and workplan. Prepare the strategic pillars of the action plan and identify relevant intervention which will help to minimize the climate change impacts in Sindh.
12. Consultation meeting with stakeholders including government 13 line department, I/NGOs (working on Climate change) UN agencies (FAO, UNICEF & UNDP) and other stakeholders for getting the inputs for developing the comprehensive action plan.
13. Mapping of all the stakeholder working on climate change and engage them in development of implementation and preparation of action plan plan of Climate change policy.
14. Arrange workshops for climate change policy advocacy, consultations for developing climate change implementation & action plan & to discuss the Gaps analysis of ECC&CDD for implementation of policy.
15. Draft the initial action plan & implementation framework of CC policy for next 5 years for Diretorate of Climate Change.
16. Identify and facilitate relationships with potential financing agencies and institutions for ECC&CDD.
17. Identify priorities and entry-points for WFP as well as other UN agencies by identifying project and facilitate the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of programme/project concepts and full-fledged proposals for financing for WFP.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• At least five years of professional work experience in project implementation and management in the area of climate change, environmental and social development at the UN or other development organizations, required.
- Experience in developing content and knowledge products on climate change related issues, specifically on Paris Agreement, NDCs, and other UNFCCC processes, required
- Demonstrated ability to work on a project proposal from conception to formatting findings into a report, as well as other information products.
- Experience with Working with Government and policy preparation and implementation plan is a plus.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong climate change, capacity building, and/or development project design and implementation skills is required
- Ability for problem-solving, multitasking, and meeting deadlines is highly desired
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Strong sense of aesthetics and design would be an assets.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
03 June 2022