The Technical, Operational, and Program Support (TOPS) project is a five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded institutional support contract for USAID’s Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation (DDI) to meet environment, energy and infrastructure challenges as well as climate change. TOPS aims to help USAID meet the increasing complexities of global development by recruiting technical assistance providers to work in USAID’s offices; delivering the training needed to empower new staff and advance USAID’s objectives around diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI); and facilitating more evidence-driven technical decisions.
In support of USAID’s Energy, Environment and Infrastructure (EEI) center, EnCompass LLC is seeking a Climate Change Capacity Building Specialist to help USAID climate and non-climate staff build the knowledge and skills needed to effectively implement USAID’s forthcoming all-of-Agency climate change strategy. The Specialist will help to identify learning objectives, track learning opportunities, and support training development and delivery. The role requires someone who is creative, collaborative and committed to helping individuals and teams get smarter about climate change and its role in development programming.
This full time role will be fully embedded with USAID in the Washington, D.C. area. Staff on this project will be working remotely until the client has designated a return to office. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Work with EEI and other stakeholders to identify the skills and knowledge needed to help USAID achieve the targets set forth in the Climate Strategy 2022-2030
- Serve as a staff-level EEI focal point, supporting capacity building efforts related to climate within USAID
- Liaise with regional bureaus and other offices within USAID to advocate for the inclusion of climate in regional and technical meetings and training/learning events
- Support planning and facilitation of face-to-face workshops, virtual instructor training (vILT), interactive webinars and other learning sessions
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop, update and implement capacity building plans and training materials
- Coordinate and collaborate with subject matter experts who are to contributing content to training designs and training deliveries, helping to address challenges and promote effective collaboration
- Support learning needs assessments and training evaluations through data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with all project stakeholders
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of relevant experience; Master's degree and 3 years of relevant experience. Degrees should be in international development, training, instructional design, organizational development, environment, climate change or related field.
Experience and Skills
- Experience in adult learning, capacity building and behavior change
- Experience in facilitating group processes, including meetings, focus groups, learning activities, and/or events both online and in-person.
- Technical expertise in climate change and/or international development
- Ability to manage adaptively and be responsive to changes in context or work requirements.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation of training and capacity building programs
- Ability to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects, and communicate results
- A positive attitude, and the ability to work with others constructively.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Advanced skills in MS Word suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Google applications or similar to produce professional presentations and training materials
- Basic learning content development skills including support for graphic design, formatting and editing of materials
- A commitment to advancing EEI mission and USAID climate change strategy goals
- Ability to obtain and maintain USG facilities security clearance
- Experience using online meeting software such as BlueJeans and/or Google Meeting is a plus
- USAID experience is a plus
- Fluency in language(s) other than English an advantage
- Ability to travel internationally, if needed. Likely no more than once a quarter.
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.