SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy, and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019–2022), SNV aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org.
Within the Energy sector, SNV is a facilitator of commercially viable markets for renewable energy products and services for households and SMEs. SNV provides advisory services to private, public, and non-governmental organizations for improved access to energy for underserved populations within rural, peri urban as well as urban areas. Nexus solutions, including renewable energy applications in agricultural value chains, are of increasing importance in SNV’s work. To support our capacity in this field, SNV is looking for an Advisor Agribusiness and Private Sector Development. Based out of Kampala, Uganda, the advisor will support agribusinesses and private sector in built environment to adopt energy efficiency solutions in a manner that increase their overall operational efficiency and profitability. The advisor will be part of the Inclusive Markets for Energy Efficiency in Uganda (IMEU) project team and work with SMEs and energy service companies (ESCOs) to achieve the above goal.
Overall project objective: Increased adoption of energy efficient products and services in agriculture and the built environment to enhance livelihoods and increase resilience and competitiveness of businesses in Uganda. This will be achieved through strengthening the demand & supply of EE products and services and strengthening the knowledge coordination and policy environment in Uganda.
SNV is the lead implementer in a consortium with Makerere University College of Engineering Design Art and Technology (CEDAT) and Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU). IMEU is funded by the Embassy of Sweden in Kampala- Uganda.
SNV seeks a talented, qualified, result-oriented and experienced professional for the position of Advisor Agribusiness and Private Sector Development, with a particular focus on increasing energy efficiency in agriculture and the built environment, to support implementation of this project.
- The advisor is responsible for developing innovative strategy and detail approach and tools for identification, engagement, partnering with private sector actors involved in the IMEU project particularly working with SMEs to build business cases (EE investment packages), analyse cost-benefits and models incorporating increased uptake of the EE solutions.
- The advisor will provide guidance and support to the market development fund (MDF) expert on the levels of the catalytic grants and or result based financing (RBFs) that are required by the SMEs.
- The advisor is technically responsible for the quality of IMEU project private sector engagement efforts according to the work plan.
- Work closely with PSFU to identify private sector stakeholders to leverage the opportunities, resources, and networks for building a vibrant private sector ecosystem for the benefit of delivering the IMEU project.
- Business development support (BDS) and investment-readiness advisory services to increase uptake of EE solutions with SMEs engaged in the project.
- Technically will be the liaison between the project and Private Sector Foundation Uganda, supporting PSFU in engaging and training of the member SMEs.
- Lead co-creation sessions with successful applicants to the MDF to ensure their proposals are practical, measurable and contribute to enhancing competitiveness of the SMEs.
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of SMEs and institutions in the built environment which are potential applicants for the MDF.
- Contribute to internal and external knowledge development, ensures lessons learned are shared and applied in daily practice.
- Participates in knowledge development/expertise groups and in internal and external networks.
- Documentation and sharing learnings on IMEU private sector engagement efforts with relevant stakeholders.
- Support efforts to create and enable an effective, coherent, and comprehensive framework for the private sector development activities of IMEU (in collaboration with PSFU), within the framework of the agri-business and the built environment.
- Actively participate in strategic positioning meetings and acts as a knowledgeable face of the SNV organisation to the client. Analyse, understand, and develop (local) networks with relevant stakeholders.
Contribute to private sector development technical content on reporting to the donor.
Project and process development and implementation
- Undertake monitoring visits to relevant partners and service providers and report on project progress and constraints. Ensure lessons learned are applied in daily practice.
- Contribute to the process of identification of and engagement with participating SMEs and ESCOs.
- Contribute to coherent development of the work plans and update thereof according to progress of implementation.
- Take lead in collaborating with other SNV projects and programs on the theme of agriculture and private sector development with regards to energy efficiency.
- Lead strategy development for IMEU’s engagement with SMEs, aligned to SNV corporate frameworks.
- Identify and analyse market opportunities and threats related to IMEU project and SNV in general and ensures relevant colleagues are informed.
- Actively participate in strategic positioning meetings and acts as focal point of SNV in relevant networks and platforms, both internal and external. Analyse, understand, and develop (local) networks with relevant stakeholders.
- Contribute to relevant reporting to the donor on technical application of energy efficiency to agribusiness and private sector.
. Master’s degree in Agribusiness management, Energy, Business Administration, Agricultural economics or related field preferably with experience of mainstreaming Energy Efficiency in business models of SMEs, with a particular focus on agriculture and the built environment.
. Minimum 8 years progressive experience at senior level in the field of agricultural markets development or agribusiness/private sector support.
· Solid background and understanding of business planning, business development support, financial modelling and simulation, growth planning and investment readiness support to SMEs through coaching and technical assistance. Experience in Uganda or East Africa is preferred.
· Knowledge of market systems development approach and its application in agriculture and other sectors is important. Experience in energy efficiency and renewable energy applications in agriculture and the built environment is preferred.
· Strong experience evaluating and facilitating business cases for operational efficiency, commercial viability and social returns is required.
· Track record of successful leadership of a thematic area and delivering results. Experience working with local partners and in a consortium. Able to strategically lead, inspire and energise programme teams.
· Experience in leveraging networks, resources, and multistakeholder approaches. Excellent social, networking and presentation skills, able to engage with the private sector, civil society, governments, and donors at all levels.
· Experience in collaborative and adaptive monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
· Highly motivated self-starter, with strong organisational skills, who takes individual accountability seriously.
· Strong strategic decision-making and excellent (written and oral) communication skills, as well as reporting and presentation skills.
· Readiness to work and frequently travel in rural areas with minimal amenities.
· Fluency in both written and spoken English.
· Contract Type: Full-time, international contract
· Contract Duration: 2 years with a strong possibility for extension
· Desired Start Date: ASAP
· Information Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts across sectors. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation by 30 of June 2022 by clicking on the link: I'm interested. All information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of two people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -