Ecorys, one of Europe’s largest economic and social development consultancy firms, is hiring a KE2/Deputy Team Leader to join its Ankara-based project team providing Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Assistance to the EU’s Facility for Refugees in Turkey (SUMAF).
Turkey is currently hosting the highest number of refugees in the world, with over 4 million mainly Syrian refugees residing in the country. In 2016, the EU launched the Facility for Refugees in Turkey to allow for the effective and efficient mobilisation of EU assistance to address the needs of refugees and their local host communities. The EU has to-date committed €6 billion to implement over 100 large projects covering a range of areas including health, education, basic needs, livelihoods, municipal infrastructure and social cohesion and is currently programming a further package of support. The projects are implemented by a wide range of government agencies, bilateral and multilateral development agencies, as well as international and national NGOs.
The SUMAF project supports the EU Delegation in Ankara and the Facility’s Secretariat in Brussels in the conduct of the monitoring of the performance of the Facility. In conducting this work, it operates a Facility-wide performance monitoring system, carries out regular project review missions to the projects and also provides M&E advisory and capacity-building services to the project implementing agencies.
As part of its strategy to implement its second phase, SUMAF is strengthening its team through the recruitment of a Key Expert (KE2/Deputy Team Leader). This is an exciting opportunity to join a small and highly dynamic team which is working very closely with the EU Delegation in Turkey and the Facility Secretariat in Brussels to implement the EU’s programme of support to the Government of Turkey in responding to the world’s largest refugee crisis.
The KE2/Deputy TL will be responsible for implementing the following key tasks:
- Conduct of quality assurance of draft SUMAF monitoring mission reports and ensuring that the SUMAF monitoring methodology is adhered to in a consistent manner by the Priority Area Leads (PALs);
- Provision of technical inputs to other SUMAF products including the six-monthly Facility Monitoring Report and Priority Area Briefing Notes;
- Coordinating the preparation of the Annual Monitoring Mission Plan and its periodic review and updating, including managing the consultation process with the EUD Programme Managers and Action Implementing Partners (working closely with the PALs and supported by the Monitoring Planning and Support Officer (MPSO) and Monitoring and Operations Officer (MOO);
- Working with the SUMAF backstopping team to ensure the maintenance of a high-quality pool of active and reserve monitoring experts (NKEs), including obtaining their approval to join the pool and ensuring their timely deployment and orientation on the SUMAF monitoring system;
- Providing advisory inputs to mission planning by the PALs including quality assuring draft SUMAF mission plans;
- Participating in monitoring missions - either as Lead Monitor or Co-Monitor;
- Providing inputs to the SUMAF quarterly and biannual progress reports;
- Provision of technical inputs to the design and execution of surveys conducted by SUMAF to support the monitoring of the Facility’s performance;
- Coordinating the periodic review and further development of the SUMAF monitoring manual and related processes/materials (e.g. report formats; recommendations monitoring system etc);
- Ensuring the regular, accurate and consistent updating (by the MPSO and MOO) of SUMAF’s Data Management System and cloud-based document storage system with monitoring mission results and related materials from the missions (including contributing to the further development of these systems);
- Contributing to the design and implementation of capacity development and lesson learning activities;
- Line managing the MPSO and the MOO; deputising for the Team Leader when he is on leave.
In the conduct of this work the KE2/Deputy TL will lead on the development and management of SUMAF’s relationships with the EU Delegation as well as other institutions relevant to the Facility’s work (such as Turkish ministries; national and international NGOs, UN agencies and other multilateral development agencies).
- Indicative start date: ASAP
- Indicative end date: December 2024
- Place of posting: Ankara, Turkey
- Missions to the field: Yes
Deadline for submission of CVs
19 August 2022
Key Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or higher degree. In the absence of such degree, at least 5 additional years of working experience to the years and in the fields requested in the general professional experience;
- At least 6 years of professional experience in programme/project level monitoring and/or evaluation in one or more of the following sectors: education, health, migration, socio-economic development;
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of monitoring of development aid programmes/projects;
- Experience as a monitoring planner and coordinator in at least two results-oriented monitoring assignments of at least one year in total will be considered as an asset.
- Full computer literacy;
- Good command of written and spoken English;
- Good command of written and spoken Turkish and/or Arabic will be an asset;
To apply for this position, please email your full CV and accompanying cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight (Ankara time) Friday, 19 August 2022. Please indicate in your cover letter where you saw the ad for this position.