EnCompass LLC is seeking a Product Development and Accessibility Manager to lead accessibility efforts across EnCompass communication products and technical deliverables, ensuring they adhere to the U.S. accessibility requirements as well as the company’s style and quality standards. In addition to leading remediation efforts for a variety of products and formats, the Manager will also collaborate with team members to implement accessibility solutions throughout the product life cycle, including template development, product design and layout, data visualization and graphic design, document formatting, interactivity, and final remediation. They will also train and mentor peers on accessibility best practices.
This is a full-time position based in Rockville, Maryland; however, the position can be remote within the US in states where EnCompass is currently registered. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops creative and innovative accessibility solutions that adhere to organization, USG, Section 508, and/or WCAG guidelines
- Provides high-quality, audience-focused document production and remediation support for external and internal products and technical deliverables (e.g., project reports, studies, strategies, training and learning materials, work plans, new business proposals, blog posts, white papers, and news articles) in compliance with EnCompass’ and client’s branding and marketing standards
- Tests to ensure accessibility solutions are effective and successful
- Provides subject matter expertise on accessibility needs, assistive technologies, standards, and technical questions
- Designs and delivers orientation sessions, refresher training, and other learning opportunities to raise EnCompass staff’s knowledge and skills related to accessibility, design/formatting, and EnCompass’ and client style standards
- Collaborates with other Communications Team members to manage incoming requests, assess individual and team workload, and prioritize tasks
- Collaborates with other members of the Communications Team to create and update EnCompass templates to ensure adherence to accessibility and style standards for reports and other materials, and orients teams on how to effectively use them
- Periodically reviews the EnCompass Style Guide and related tools and resources to reflect current industry trends or organizational changes; updates materials as needed; and orients staff across the company to any updates
- Contributes to team and corporate work plans, quality initiatives, and other activities that apply to the role of communications at EnCompass
- May supervise or mentor staff
- Engages fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a High School diploma and 11 years’ experience; Associate’s degree and 9 years’ experience; Bachelor’s degree and 7 years’ experience, Master’s degree and 5 years’ experience, or PhD and 3 years’ experience in professional editing, writing, communications, or a related field
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to remediate digital products to meet USG minimum requirements for 508 conformance
- Demonstrated experience using Adobe Acrobat Pro and CommonLook software to inspect and remediate PDF files
- Advanced knowledge of accessibility standards and compliance with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act, WCAG, and/or copyright law
- Advanced skills in working with templates and formatting materials using Microsoft Office programs, especially Word and PowerPoint; working with charts in Microsoft Excel
- Practical experience using assistive technology, e.g., NVDA screen reader, to test for accessibility of digital documents is highly desirable
- Superior design and formatting skills with experience building documents in both Microsoft and Adobe CC applications
- Exceptional thoroughness, heightened attention to detail, and commitment to consistency
- Demonstrated ability to apply the guidance in organization-specific style guides, and differentiate between American and British English to adhere to client’s standards as needed
- Flexibility, openness to change, and proven ability to manage multiple priorities/tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work independently with diverse team at all levels of an organization; and aptness in inclusivity and multiculturality
- Knowledge of more than one language is preferred
- Familiarity with international development programs is highly desired
- Ability to provide clear and constructive feedback, and receive feedback from colleagues
- Strong work ethic with a commitment to excellence
- Ability to work in an appreciate and strengths-based environment and coach others in using appreciative approaches
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application. Candidates who are selected after the first round of interviews will be expected to submit a remediated PDF that will be checked against the Adobe Acrobat Pro Accessibility Checker. The results from the Checker will have an impact on candidacy.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
If you require accommodations in line with the Americans with Disabilities Act to complete your application, please call 301-287-8700, provide your contact information and a description of your accessibility issue. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case-basis, and we will call you back within approximately 3 business days.
EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision