The UNOPS Peace and Security Centre (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Centre is responsible for providing support and oversight of the day-to-day management of project field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the cluster director, who maintains overall authority and accountability for the performance of the PSC on behalf of its clients.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) established a regional support office, the Entebbe Support Office (ESO) in November of 2016. This office provides regional support to UNMAS programmes based in the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, and the Abyei Administrative Area. The areas of support include Procurement, Supply Chain, Logistics, Human Resources, Finance and Contracts Management.Functional Responsibilities
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
* QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Specialist and the overall supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Finance Officer is responsible to provide advisory, management support, and planning services to ensure compliant planning, administration, and management (including budget, treasury and cash management) of the business units' financial resources; and maintain the oversight and control of programme financial activities, providing value-added advisory services. S/he shall foster collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other stakeholders with a client-oriented approach. The incumbent is expected to travel regularly to the regional supported programmes (South Sudan, Abyei, Democratic Republic of Congo).
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Implementation of operational strategies and procedures
- Budget Preparation and Management
- Cash Management and Treasury
- Control of Accounts and Payments
- Knowledge Building and Sharing
- Team Management
- Full compliance with UN/UNOPS rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with programme management.
- Coordination of the preparation of the field operating budget; review of budget submissions, regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation; monitoring of expenditures against budget allotments and reporting on variances.
- Identification of administrative budgetary requirements; provision of guidance on guidelines for budget preparation.
- Review and update of guidelines, procedures in light of changing circumstances or for the purpose of complying, streamlining and/or strengthening of existing financial and budgetary procedures.
- Review, analysis and revision of data with respect to the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements submitted by project managers; review of budget proposals for reasonableness, consistency with the organizational goals and priorities.
- Monitoring of budget implementation, expenditure levels against allotments and determination/recommendation of reallocation of funds when necessary.
- Status of budgetary allocations monitored on an ongoing basis; networking with clients to strengthen budget management and take corrective actions when required. Provision of information to supervisors, programmes management team and other UNOPS staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Collaboration with the Portfolio and the Programme teams in the improvement of Budget formulation process, ensuring relevance of the system at all times by updating and proposing change to facilitate financial management of the project and enhance financial reporting.
- Review and appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Organization and oversight of cash management processes timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements; identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Building of programmes capacity to effect payments using ERP/OneUNOPS and/or Imprest Accounts.
- Discussion and communication with the programme support colleagues on the savings or potential concerns that may require further review.
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals for the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ERP; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Quality control of the account by performing ongoing review, analysis and reconciliation of accounts. Investigation of discrepancies and initiation of timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNOPS projects and follow up with partners on contributions, maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Ensuring proper maintenance of the field financial accounts; preparation of financial records, statements and reports as required or approval of the work of subordinates; coordination of field replies to internal and external audit queries.
- Ensuring proper receipt, management, safeguarding and disbursement of payments handled by the field; review, modification, initiation and implementation of internal control procedures in coordination with Headquarters.
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions.
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on Finance related topics.
- Contribute to Financial management knowledge networks and communities of practice by providing collaborative synthesis of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in financial management.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
- A First-level degree (Bachelor's Degree or equivalent) in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or related fields with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience OR
- Secondary School (a High school or equivalent) with 6 years of relevant experience is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as professional-level experience in budget management and financial management.
- Experience in accounting with responsibility for project accounting and preparation of financial statements in an international organization, in providing financial management services is an asset.
- Experience in working with ERP systems (particularly Agresso) is desired.
- Fluency in English (speaking, writing & reading) is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.