We are International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a global consulting firm working some of the most complex and impactful development problems worldwide. We work on programs that help government agencies, private companies and donors improve the lives of others. At IBTCI you will be part of an inclusive team that provides expert solutions and advice to understand and address critical problems while giving you opportunities to succeed and grow.
Job Title: Communications Specialist USAID/LAC Cuba (Active Secret Clearance Required), Junior - Mid level
Department/Location: Washington, DC, USAID/LAC
Reports To: Principal, Institutional Support and USAID LAC Manager
Type: Regular Full-Time
The Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) helps to make the U.S. and the Western Hemisphere more peaceful, secure, and prosperous by strengthening the capacity of the governments and private sector entities. Throughout the region, USAID has 13 field offices, 4 regional programs, and Washington‐based programs focusing on Cuba, Ecuador, and Venezuela.
The Bureau for Latin America and Caribbean seeks a dynamic, energetic, strategic thinker to serve as a communications and social media analyst to lead distribution of LAC‐wide messaging and integrated content pertaining to Cuba. The primary focus will be themes consistent with support for democracy in Cuba. In addition, Incumbent should have knowledge of international affairs in the development context and familiarity with USAID programs in developing countries. Incumbent should understand Cuba, or similar non‐permissive environments, and USG policy objectives in those areas.
In addition to providing day‐to‐day Cuba‐centric strategic, editorial oversight to support interactive distribution of priority external messaging, the analyst will support the development of a comprehensive, integrated strategic social media strategy for LAC that can be adapted for use by other operational unitsagainst Agency self‐reliance goals. The incumbent will work closely with the LAC senior leadership and communications specialists for advice on leading or joining conversations, tracking, and responding to feedback on key strategic priority areas, and providing guidance and social media execution to ensure consistency in tone and messaging.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATIONS AND SOCIAL MEDIA FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain extensive and actionable knowledge of development and foreign policy challenges in Cuba, including the information required to inform press strategies and messaging campaigns.
- Monitor daily news media and social media accounts related to Cuba and recommend LAC messaging in response.
- Coordinate across LAC communications teams to develop and execute social media strategies and tactics.
- Develop and edit social media content; coordinate across LAC communications/media teams to ensure that social media toolkits, messaging, and resource guides are distributed among key stakeholders.
- Draft and schedule social media posts to support a cohesive external message.
- Photo editing or creation of digital assets (e.g., photographs, pictograms).
- Moderate video clip editing as needed.
- Respond to social media inquiries and comments in real time.
- Proactively seek opportunities to drive, join, or share ongoing digital conversations that relate to Cuba strategic priority areas.
- Develop a strategic social media strategy and best practices style guide to emphasize distribution against core messaging priorities, increase reach, and deepen audience engagement to coincide with USAID's public affairs plan.
- Be an active mmemeber of the Northern Triangle Task Force.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Incumbent must have active secret clearance.
- Professional proficiency in Spanish required.
- The ideal candidate will possess strong editorial expertise and social media experience.
- Managing multiple strategic communications platforms, including Twitter and Facebook, for a professional organization
- At least 2‐3 years progressively responsible experience in the communications field, planning, writing, editing, and producing a communications content through a variety of print and online media.
- Exceptional writing skills, editorial expertise, and ability to speak persuasively under pressure/deadline.
- Experience with content management, content production, and social media.
- Exceptional organizational and planning abilities among with ability to work independently or as a team member.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, digital media or associated degree.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of international affairs or international development is preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment. Currently the company is allowing for remote work due to COVID 19 in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia (DMV) area. This can be updated by the company.
COVID Vaccine status: As a condition of employment, IBTCI requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Candidates should be prepared to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon hire or request for an accommodation with HR that is consistent with our COVID-19 safety protocols and policies.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the U.S.A. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & Infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients' missions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page).