The American Bar Association-Rule of Law Initiative is seeking an International Finance Manager for it’s Finance department. The Finance Manager reviews accounting transactions before being charged to awards for an assigned high complexity portfolio of countries and projects and ensures compliance with grantor, government or private entities, and appropriate rules, regulations, and/or award provisions. The Finance Manager also leads and supervises a group of Finance Associates, Finance Specialists and Senior Finance Specialists.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Manages day-to-day accounting and fiscal compliance efforts for field program(s) within the designated programmatic department(s).
- Reviews cash forecast, prepares field advance wire transfers and reconciles advance accounts pertinent to high complexity portfolio
- Reviews transactions, vouchers, and payments pertinent to assigned high complexity portfolio
- Prepares and distributes pipelines according to donor budgets and flags any irregularities to program staff
- Prepares Quarterly and Final USG and non-USG Donor Financial Reports and closeout forms
- Prepares journal entries for month-end General Ledger close for program related expenses (e.g., field reports, in-kind contributions, reclassifications, write-offs, etc.).
- Disburses funds and reviews Subrecipients reports pertinent to assigned portfolio
- Analyzes complex financial data from field offices and DC administered transactions for the assigned programs and assists internal customers with their inquiries
- Reviews and approves assigned team’s payments prior to submission to AP
- Spot checks own team’s field expense report reviews to ensure full compliance and completeness
- Mentors and trains own team
- Performs staff performance evaluations and approves staff’s timesheets
- Contributes to the development of internal processes, procedures, policies, and other materials to optimize both award administration/compliance and program efficiency for both field and ABA staff.
- Identifies gaps and provides recommendations for changes to policies and procedures; implements approved modifications to enhance internal controls and business processes
- Collaborates with program staff in the programmatic departments and field financial managers to provide ongoing financial compliance-related guidance and training for successful program implementation and program audits
- Ensures financial compliance by analyzing complex financial data from field offices and DC administered transactions for the assigned programs.
- Compiles and reviews relevant financial documentation in response to requests for information from outside auditors, funders, other departments of ABA, members, and/or vendors.
- Travels to field offices to conduct desk reviews and site-visits upon request.
- Crossed training with Sr. Manager and serves as her/his backup.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree is required and at least three years’ experience in program accounting, reporting, and program compliance interpreting and applying award rules and regulations from government entities (e.g., OMB circulars) and/or private donors is required.
- Advanced-level skill in the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
Preferred Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Possession of a graduate degree is preferred.
- At least two years’ experience leading/supervising a staff.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Possession of an advanced degree and/or CPA.
• An eye for detail and accuracy
• Willingness to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
• Fluency in English
• Team player with rock-solid ability to work with diverse team members across multiple time zones.
• Ability to strategize effectively to meet deadlines and competing obligations
• Excellent organization skills and self-direction.
• Values-driven, trustworthy, honest, and a passion for helping people in need
COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment (requests for reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered).