About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and economic development professionals. We are a devoted and trusted partner to federal, state, and local government agencies; multilateral institutions; and private sector clients. To this diverse client base, we bring strategic vision and an entrepreneurial spirit, developing innovative solutions to some of the world’s most challenging problems.
WSP is currently accepting CVs for an Objective 2 Lead for the anticipated USAID/Guatemala Smart and Security Cities project (projected to be $25-$50 million in size). This aims of this project are to:
- reinforce the significant role of local governments in developing and delivering crime prevention at the community level; and
- develop accountable and transparent municipalities, through the strengthening of public financial, administrative and regulatory measures so they become more responsive in delivering public goods and services, that focus on building safe and healthy communities.
The Objective 2 Lead, a member of the Project’s senior management team, will lead the implementation of Objective 2 (“Greater municipal service delivery through efficient planning, designing, and financing capacity for urban development and growth”). S/he will oversee a team that will work closely beneficiary municipalities to a) develop and implement Smart City frameworks to strengthen the use of data to improve the planning and provision of services and to reduce crime and violence; b) expand space for citizen participation in planning, budgeting and performance oversight; c) increase own source revenue; and d) strengthen performance measurement and accountability systems and improve transparency.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Anticipated roles include, but not limited to, the following:
- Lead technical oversight of Objective 2, providing strategic vision and overall leadership, and ensuring the provision of timely, relevant, high-quality work from both long-term staff and incoming short-tem1consultants.
- Manage Objective 2 activities and ensure that they are integrated with Objectives 1 and 3, in particular overseeing the process of capacity assessments, action planning, activity design, and activity implementation, together focused on strengthening local government planning, budgeting, and service delivery; crime and violence prevention; revenue generation; citizen engagement; and transparency and accountability.
- Pursue areas of cooperation with key counterparts, other donors, and partner institutions.
- Assist Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party in completing reporting requirements and deliverables required by the contract such as progress reports, work plans and technical reports in a timely and thorough manner.
- A bachelor's degree in social sciences, international development, public policy, public administration, or another relevant field. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of technical experience in governance in areas such as: local governance, public administration, public finance, planning, budgeting, service delivery, crime and violence prevention, e-governance, citizen engagement and public accountability.
- Ability to partner with a variety of individuals and organizations, US government officials, national/local government officials, international agencies, donor organizations, or stakeholders.
- Proven experience hiring, training, and supervising teams of international and local staff.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) in Spanish. Professional proficiency in English preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to implement projects with rigorous timelines and deliverables and to track program quality through monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Familiarity with USAID approaches to political economy analysis; adaptive management; and collaborating, learning and adapting (CLA) preferred.
- Previous experience working in Guatemala on projects of similar scope and complexity (and especially those having addressed municipal governance) highly preferred.
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.