The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is seeking for an innovative Spatial Data Scientist to join its office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Spatial Data Scientist under supervision of Country Representative - Ethiopia shall support research in the area of collection, compilation, processing, evaluation, interpretation, generation, maintenance and distribution of spatial information (including remotely sensed data and GIS information layers) relevant for the various research projects IWMI East Africa Office undertakes. Further, the Expert shall contribute towards building an IWMI-wide expertise and datasets that rely on remote sensing.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create, maintain the spatial data repository for IWMI
- Maintain and expand the spatial data repository and related meta databases.
- Identify appropriate data sources of spatial information layers and digital imagery data from global websites, collect/compile such information/data and imagery, interpret and extract information to support research for development projects and other operations of IWMI-East Africa Office.
- Compile, process and customize relevant spatial data, including satellite rainfall data, evapotranspiration, temperature, soil moisture and other data needed to support end user needs.
- Prepare metadata (data about data)
- Incorporate geodatabases developed through projects into one central geodatabase.
- Advocate and ensure compliance to data and mapping standards.
- Work closely with thematic specialists (water resources, environment, socioeconomic development) at IWMI-East Africa Office to identify needs for spatial data/information to support research and interpret these spatial information needs such as identification of needs for satellite imageries, GIS layers, processing and map production needs.
- Lead procurement, and organization of satellite imagery and processing of the same to generate value-added information needed for research projects.
- Generating time series data from gridded spatial data for areas of interest as requested by IWMI research team.
- Perform cartographic editing to generate customized data as required by IWMI team.
- Generating project specific databases.
- Developing thematic maps products to communicate results of strategic analysis.
- Disseminating and provision of data to IWMI research team and to consultants to undertake research as required.
- Planning and executing the processing of digital imagery and GIS information layers using specialized image processing software such as ERDAS Imagine, ARcGIS or similar software.
- Supporting IWMI communication functions to design, develop and produce thematic maps to communicate with stakeholders, decision makers and the wider public on critical issues and provide facts about IWMI conducted research and findings.
- Work with relevant staff in the development of knowledge products such as posters, flyers, messages, brochures, newsletter articles, website articles and other relevant documentation to market activities of IWMI EANB Office. This includes organizing exhibition to market IWMI products.
- Work closely with the IWMI and other CGIAR IT/CKM teams.
- Perform other relevant duties assigned by the supervisor.
Educational Qualifications & Experience:
- At least a master’s degree in Remote Sensing, GIS or IT or related fields with strong background in remote sensing or MSc in relevant natural resources management subject coupled with at least 5 years of hands-on experience in spatial data analysis, remote sensing imagery processing for natural resources management and GIS.
- At least 10 years of experience involving the use of remote sensing and GIS in planning development, monitoring, and management of natural resources systems. Particularly, in the retrieval, storage, archiving, processing and interpretation of RS data.
- Experience with satellite imagery processing for water and related natural resources management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to provide technical support and training in the use of RS and GIS.
- Ability to read, understand, develop, manipulate, & analyze geographic information in a variety of data formats, including raster and vector data.
- Proficiency in the use of ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, IDRISI, ArcGIS or other similar software.
- Extensive experience in the use, calibration and validation of RS models that convert primary RS data to secondary RS information products is an advantage.
- Strong practical experience in using GIS is essential, specifically ESRI products such as ArcView and / or Arc Info; knowledge and experience in web mapping and web mapping tools.
What We Offer
This is a regionally recruited position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an attractive retirement plan, comprehensive international insurance coverage and a transportation allowance. Additional allowances may include housing, education, shipping assistance, and annual home leave travel for you and eligible dependents. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possible extension.
How to apply:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until 24:00 IST on July 09, 2023. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.