IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff over 600. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates for upcoming USAID-funded media support programs in East Africa. COPs will be posted abroad and oversee all program aspects and ensure that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding. Only candidates from East Africa will be considered.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program
- Serve as principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations
- Ensure program activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor program staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee program budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Represent IREX publicly and supports its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 10 years of progressive international experience working in media sector strengthening and reform, journalism, civic engagement, or related fields; or a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with at least 12 years or relevant experience also considered. Successful track record of at least five (5) years supervising, managing, and implementing USAID-funded programs and or other related donor-funded programming, with at least five (5) years of experience managing programs in East Africa
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance programs (with strong preference for past USAID-funded media development project management experience)
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; media, civic, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives
- Experience convening diverse stakeholders to address legal and regulatory media reforms and/or emerging technological issues affecting the media sector
- Experience working with private and public sector partners to leverage additional sources of funding to meet program objectives
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- English language fluency is required, including the ability to provide written reporting in English
Click on https://irex.applytojob.com/apply/IOgL9zozBR/Chief-Of-Party-USAID-Media-Projects-East-Africa to submit your CV in English along with a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and stating your salary expectations for consideration.