Project title: EU Knowledge Hub on Prevention of Radicalisation
Place of performance: Brussels/ Belgium and/or EU, Balkans, MENA countries or North America
Deadline for application: 16th October 2023
The Commission is creating an EU Knowledge Hub on the prevention of radicalisation leading to violent extremism and terrorism (also referred to as Knowledge Hub). The Knowledge Hub will be the Commission’s main tool to support EU Member States and other relevant stakeholders in their efforts to prevent and counter all forms of violent extremism and terrorism taking into account the dynamic and changing threat landscape which obliges to promptly adapt responses. The EU Knowledge Hub on prevention of radicalisation will be designed to become a platform to:
- produce, gather, consolidate, enhance, and disseminate knowledge, expertise, and good practices on prevention of radicalisation and violent extremism in Europe and Third countries and regions considered as a priority.
- support EU Member States and other relevant stakeholders to strengthen their capacities in the prevention of radicalisation leading to violent extremism and terrorism.
- ensure exchanges and cooperation at the EU level to tackle challenges related to the prevention of radicalisation.
- produce effective responses to radicalisation and polarisation grounded in European values to build resilient societies.
- build knowledge based on the achievements of the Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN) while breaking silos and fostering cooperation among different groups of stakeholders. provide training and disseminate developed good practices, tools, and methods for the benefit of all stakeholders in their specific contexts.
- develop strategies and foster implementation of policies on the prevention of radicalisation (referred to also as ‘prevent policies’) and measures at national, European, and, where relevant, international level.
- develop a repository of all available publications on radicalisation (including past RAN-developed products and research papers). The main task of the service provider will be to support the Commission in setting up the Knowledge Hub and implementing targeted actions in the area of prevention of radicalisation in line with the established EU policy priorities in this field.
For the purpose of this procedure, radicalisation should be understood as a phased and complex process in which an individual or a group embraces a radical ideology or belief that accepts, uses, or condones violence, including acts of terrorism within the meaning of the Counter Terrorism Directive1 to reach a specific political or ideological purpose. The activities of the EU Knowledge Hub under this tender will address the phenomenon of radicalisation and violent extremism in all its forms and manifestations. Tackling radicalisation requires multi-faceted approaches and answers. The various root causes and perceived grievances that might lead to radicalisation need to be addressed in a holistic manner. This may also require addressing underlying extremist ideas/ideologies while recognising that radical ideas do not necessarily lead to acts of terrorism and that not all violent behaviour is the result of extremist ideas.
Commencement date of the project: January 2024
This role involves crafting clear, concise, and compelling and engaging content for various communication channels while maintaining brand voice and ensuring consistent messaging.
- native level or near native level command of English (equivalent to level C2 in line with the Common European Framework of Reference for Language skills);
- university degree of at least 4 years (minimum Master) in English linguistic, English literature, journalism (taught in English);
- at least 6 years of professional experience (after a Master’s degree) in writing and content creation, including at least 1 year working in topics related to the field of preventing or countering radicalisation;
- a keen eye for detail and a strong command of grammar, punctuation, and style guidelines, with the ability to adapt writing style to different formats and target audiences.