SNV is a mission-driven global development partner working in more than 20 countries across Africa and Asia. Building on 60 years of experience and grounded in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we work on the core themes of gender equality and social inclusion, climate adaptation and mitigation, and strong institutions and effective governance. Together with our team of over 1,600 people, our mission is to strengthen capacities and catalyse partnerships that transform the agri-food, energy, and water systems, which enable sustainable and more equitable lives for all.
Our core values of people-centeredness and respect, equity and equality, and diversity and inclusion, are fundamental to who we are, and what we do. This is reflected in our vision and mission, and strategy, which sets out our aspirations and commitments as our compass towards 2030.
For more information on SNV, please refer to our website: www.snv.org.
SNV takes upon a crucial role as a partner in the management of the Origination Facility (OF) under the Dutch Fund for Climate and Development (DFCD, www.thedfcd.com). The primary objective within this facility is to source and develop projects until they reach the level of ‘bankability’. This phase is crucial as it paves the way for FMO (Netherlands Development Bank) and CFM (Climate Fund Managers) to secure private sector funding necessary for the implementation of impactful, climate-resilient projects. The OF is uniquely dedicated to identifying promising business ideas or projects and conducting preliminary feasibility studies, all with a specific focus on various thematic subsectors encompassed by the DFCD. We are strategically positioned to exploit landscape strategies to source activities and transform them into viable business propositions for our two investment windows, Water and Land use.
In a promising development, the Dutch government has recently granted approval for an additional €40 million in funding for the Origination Facility, covering the period from 2024 to 2027.
As a Business and Investment Expert for West Africa, you'll drive impactful change in global climate resilience and sustainable development. You'll scout and shape strategic business cases, influence investments, and collaborate internationally, fostering capacity-building and contributing to a more sustainable, resilient future. You will work closely with Business Origination Advisors (BOAs), global and multi-country technical staff, including Regional Business and Investment Experts for East and South Africa and Asia. Your role will involve coordinating and ensuring the quality of grant application assessments, preparing grant decision advice for the Multi-Country Project Manager, and overseeing the provision of technical assistance to businesses in West Africa and those from third countries operating in the region. You will also provide strategic project guidance to the broader DFCD Consortium. Externally, you will collaborate with DFCD consortium partners on pipeline development and maintain relationships with relevant external stakeholders in the region.
This role offers a unique opportunity to shape impactful climate-resilient projects in the West African region and contribute to sustainable development on a global scale. We seek an individual with profound investment expertise, including financial modelling and the ability to structure and develop investable business cases. Your strategic leadership skills will be crucial for driving the scoping and structuring of complex business cases and providing valuable support to the team. Join us in shaping a more sustainable and resilient future on a global scale.
You will have a crucial role in driving the mission of the DFCD Origination Facility, with key responsibilities including:
- Scoping and Structuring New Business Cases:
- Contribute to the identification and preparation of investment proposals through analysis and discussions with internal staff and clients.
- Provide strategic support to in-country BOA’s in identifying and elaborating on business proposals and investment plans.
- Ensure compliance of business cases with the fund's assessment framework.
- Undertake administrative tasks related to file completion, compliance, and reporting.
- Support the planning and execution of due diligence visits.
- Participate in client visits as needed.
- Analyse financial data, including ratios, projections, and budgets.
- Support the legal contracting process with guidance from a legal advisor.
- Monitoring a Portfolio of Contracted Grants in the Region:
- Prepare credit reviews, including market and financial analysis.
- Support in-country BOA’s in monitoring in-country portfolios by responding to requests for information and support.
- Undertake administrative tasks concerning file completion, compliance, reporting, and drafting watch-list proposals, change requests, and disbursement memos.
- Participate in client monitoring visits when required.
- Providing Analysis and Support:
- Offer support on repeat transactions for existing clients.
- Assist team members in various aspects of the portfolio management process.
- Hold an MSc degree in (agri)economics, finance, business administration, or engineering.
- Possess a minimum of 7 years of working experience, including 5 years as an investment business expert and/or in investment banking.
- Proven track record in developing investment proposals and financial modelling.
- Strong strategic thinking and leadership skills to drive the scoping and structuring of complex business cases and provide valuable support to the team.
- Experience in an international environment, especially in emerging markets.
- Expertise in climate finance, with the ability to navigate and leverage financial mechanisms for sustainable projects.
- Experience in policy advocacy for climate and development issues.
- Effective relationship builder with a client-centric approach.
- Diplomatic and tactful in interactions with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency in risk assessment to make informed decisions.
- Collaborative team player with a proactive, solution-oriented attitude.
- Excellent planning, administration, organizing, and prioritizing skills to manage complex projects efficiently.
- Ability to identify and mitigate risks, escalating issues when needed.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal, with preference for proficiency in French, both written and verbal.
- Share a deep affinity with SNV's mission and thematic areas.
- Contract Type: Full time, International
- Duty Station: Nigeria (preferably), or Ghana
- Contract Duration: 2 years with the possibility of extension
- Expected Start Date: 1st of January 2024
- Travel: Frequently within West-Africa (30%)
How to apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and a letter of motivation before/on the 25th of October 2023. Please submit your application only via Smart Recruiters. All information will be processed in the strictest confidence.
If we see that your experience and skills match the requirements of the position, we will contact you to advise you of the next steps in the recruitment process. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
*SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts.
SNV carries out rigorous background and reference checks concerning possible safeguarding incidents for all candidates applying for International determined positions. As SNV participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a request to past employers to fill in a questionnaire regarding Misconduct (sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment), the “Statement of Conduct". This Statement of Conduct adopts the definitions used in the Scheme.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.