About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
The goal of the Tupande Digital Team is to revolutionize how we serve our customers across the region through technology that works for our people. We believe this will double the number of clients One Acre Fund serves, increase impact, and improve sustainability. We aim to achieve this by leveraging technology to better serve our customers.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who will contribute to the improvement of Tupande's strategic direction based on valuable business insights derived from the data products you will build. Your work will equip teams to make more educated decisions across the organization by using trends, empirical evidence and advanced systems. You will help us come up with solutions tailored to our unique and ever-evolving needs. This is a high growth potential role as we aim to accelerate access of One Acre Fund services to customers across the country and optimize our operations, through technology.
You will report to the Senior Manager, Digital Strategy.
- You will play a vital role in development and implementation of Tupande's Data Science strategy and use data to improve organizational growth, continuous improvements and iterations.
- Be a part of the main link between Tupande’s business, customers and technology solutions by providing valuable insights through modelling and transforming datasets to help us make decisions and build customer solutions.
- Lead the strategic design, delivery and maintenance of the data science work that give meaningful insights on our performance, support Tupande’s priorities and accelerate innovation.
- Have end-to-end ownership of Tupande data science work and lead alignment on all solutions developed through collaboration.
- Help build a data-driven culture within Tupande through data science work.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, data science, business analytics, economics, finance, engineering, or computer science
- Understanding of data science best practices
- Technical skills:
- Experience in data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Matlab) experience
- Experience in advanced systems including machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to translate business needs into technical solutions
- Experience giving data presentations with graphical or data visualization tools
- SQL: write complex, optimized queries with large relational datasets
- Programming Languages: Python, R
- Data Modelling: SQL and NoSQL data
- At least 3+ years of data scientist or similar role involving data extraction, analysis, and statistical modeling
- Expertise in setting and advancing business/ project strategies, including leading improvements and adoption of those strategies in response to an evolving situation
- Experience working with and manage an array of partners collaboratively to advance your work
- Experience articulating data science work in person and in writing to technical and non-technical colleagues at all organizational levels and across multiple cultures
- Expertise in project management with the ability to oversee different data science projects growing in scope and complexity
- Fluency in English required
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Amsterdam, Netherlands, with mandatory quarterly in-person visits to our Kenya headquarters
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
This role will be physically located in the Netherlands, and is only open to only open to those with existing working rights in the Netherlands
04 January 2024
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
How to apply
Please apply through the link below: