GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
Assignment title : Technical Assistance to the African Union Commission, Department of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation (ESTI)
The Category 1 STI Expert is expected to support ESTI in the following areas:
- Provide support for the monitoring and evaluation of the Innovation Agenda in accordance with the established framework.
- Support in the evaluation of STISA – 2024, and develop a forward-looking strategic concept for the AU's STI efforts beyond STISA – 2024 while ensuring alignment with the AU's longterm development goals and continental frameworks.
The technical expert will deliver on the following outputs in line with specific tasks to be agreed with ESTI:
- Help conduct a comprehensive review and analysis of existing national and regional policies and programs related to innovation, science, technology, and research in the African continent.
- Engage stakeholders, including government officials, policymakers, and relevant institutions, to gather input and ensure buy-in for the roadmap of the AU-EU Innovation Agenda.
- Collaborate with the Technical Working Group of the AU-EU Innovation Agenda to support the monitoring and evaluation framework of the AU-EU Innovation Agenda.
- Help draft a comprehensive report on the review of STISA – 2024, including an analysis of its objectives, achievements, and shortcomings.
- Help develop a strategic concept paper with suggestions on vision, goals, and key focus areas for STI in Africa
- Develop a communication plan outlining strategies for engaging member states, research institutes, and stakeholders for collaboration and information exchange.
- Establish relationships with key stakeholders from member states, research institutes and organizations.
- Ph.D. in fields such as Science and Technology Policy, Research Management, International Collaboration and African Studies. Networking and relationship-building skills. Problem-solving and critical thinking capabilities.
General professional experience:
- A minimum of 12 years of demonstrated professional experience in roles related to research management, international collaboration, science and technology policy;
Specific professional experience:
- Strong familiarity with EU R&I programs and the African research, STI landscape, including knowledge of research institutes, universities, agencies, and regional dynamics as well as their areas of focus, is essential;
- Close link with the African research institutes,
- Number of working days: 175 days