Are you ready to pursue an exciting opportunity with a progressive humanitarian organisation in a senior management role? Would you thrive working in one of the world’s most challenging humanitarian regions, the Middle East?
Who are we?
DRC has been responding to various humanitarian crises in Lebanon since 2004, working with Palestinian, Iraqi and Syrian refugees. DRC received registration from the Ministry of Interior in 2011, and since then has focused primarily on responding to the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanon and the resulting impact on Lebanese host community. DRC Lebanon’s focus is to ensure that we are able to respond to critical emerging humanitarian needs whilst improve the living conditions of displacement-affected populations and contribute to the achievement of durable solutions. With an annual portfolio of $12million, and with approximately 200+ staff, DRC is focusing its response in protection and economic recovery (Ec-Rec) sector in Bekka, North Lebanon and Beirut. DRC is also contributing to the evidence base and coordination structures in country through our Evidence Generation and referral information management (RIMs) teams.
About the job
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations contributing to quality assurance while overseeing country activities. The head of programme is also responsible for fundraising activities and external programmatic representation and will act as the primary focal point for DRCs programming portfolio in Lebanon.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project management and development:
- Constant in-depth analysis of humanitarian context, trends, gaps, challenges, and opportunities
- Lead the country level strategic planning and the annual review process, and contribute to the sustainable management of program with a continual eye to new program development that addresses displacements and meets the needs of beneficiaries
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies, legal frameworks and specific donor requirements
- Drive new initiatives to expand/improve programmatic actions
- Lead the integration of gender, protection and conflict sensitivity mainstreaming as well as safeguarding across all programs suitable to Lebanon context.
- Design, contribute and/or lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project location; with written report and recommendation to initiate and setup relevant emergency projects if a response is decided on
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations
- Foster synergies between program areas and sectors and promotes an integrated approach
- Frequent travel for direct support to field sites, representation, and identification of opportunities for organizational growth in the competence areas
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Provide oversight, guidance, and leadership to all aspects of program development and implementation in Lebanon, including ensuring timely reporting, compliance and quality utilizing routine monitoring and feedback into program implementation
- Ensure that all projects contribute to measuring impact and are in line with DRC’s country strategic plan
- Ensure quality programming by coordinating the technical support by developing M&E tools and indicators and other quality improvement initiatives
- Adopt an evidence-based approach that see the dissemination of lessons learned and best practices within DRC country, and to other stakeholders when relevant in order ensure synergetic programming and cross-program collaboration in Lebanon and in the whole region
- Supervise monitoring and evaluation of the operations to ensure the overall implementation is in accordance with agreed work plans, donor agreements and humanitarian accountability framework
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area
- Ensure Information Management is embedded with DRC program and data is managed as per GDPR requirements.
Fundraising & Grants Management
- Lead the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals (including any modifications) with support from country team
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
- Ensure systems and tools for efficient project cycle and grants management; and ensure a coordinated approach to risk-management in cooperation with relevant departments; ensuring dynamics is implemented in a timely manner and that grants are tracked and coordination with the RO and HQ;
- Act as the focal point for consortium funded projects
- Ensure effective and transparent budget follow up, planning and use of financial resources in compliance with DRC and donor policies and priorities
- Develop a close and productive working relationship with Area Offices to ensure that all aspects of programs are implemented to maximum affect and compliant with DRC and donor regulations.
- Ensure up to date donor mapping and pursue funding opportunities in all DRC competence areas, and coordinate the capacities of the program managers and SMT to identify and materialize opportunities
- Review final reports and authorize on proposals to be submitted to external donors and HQ
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Review and oversee implementation of the partnership strategy including management tools, guidelines, and other resources as needed to effectively management partnerships;
- Promote localization agenda within DRC Lebanon; and ensure this is well reflected in all technical strategies and within the country strategy
- Lead the technical coordination unit to Identify local NGOs/partners and develop partnership with relevant and complementary partners.
- Improve partnership practices by periodically assessing DRC Lebanon’s partnership management approach taking into account both DRC and partners’ perspectives, capture lessons learned and best practices, and make recommendations for improvement
People Management and Capacity Building
- Direct line management of the Sector Coordinators/Managers and Specialists with an emphasis on excellence, promoting a culture of cooperation, learning, creativity, and innovation.
- Ongoing development of team composition and structure to ensure that is fit for purpose, develop Job descriptions/Terms of Reference, follow up program staff related recruitment processes and orientation of staff. Proactively seek to increase the numbers of national staff members in the Programs team.
- When needed, draft and/or review scopes of work to hire and manage technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget
- Development of overall staff competence through leadership, training and coaching of technical and management key program staff
- Work with the Technical coordination team and area offices ensure technical capacity building for team members and partners are in place to develop stronger expertise in-country
- Ensure staff are well-supported, and manageable workloads – proactively flagging up issues of well-being to HOSS/SMT
- Conduct annual staff performance reviews, ensuring regular feedback is provided as per DRCs performance management cycle
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships within the humanitarian community in line with the country programme strategy
- Increase/cultivate the visibility and credibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including donors
- In coordination with the Advocacy Coordinator and CD, ensure DRCs positioning is positive in Lebanon with relevant stakeholders
- When requested, together with the CD, represent DRC’s Lebanon program to funders and potential donors and deputise as necessary
- Act as a proactive member of the SMT, promoting and role-modeling values
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least (7) years of progressively responsible experience in program management, leadership, and design in countries of conflict/managing emergency operations in a senior management level– preferably experience in the Middle East.
- At least (4) years' experience with people management with proven leadership experience
- Solid experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrable experience in the nurturing of organisational learning with the ability to draft strategies/frameworks
- Excellent coordination, communication, organizational and planning skills; with the ability to work flexibly in a diverse team in a dynamic environment, fostering a positive working environment, and manage issues sensitively and diplomatically.
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, and presentation skills with the ability develop strong interpersonal relationships to facilitate communication and support partner and staff.
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with International and National NGO and Govt partners, UN and coordinating with donors.
- Extensive knowledge of UN, US and European institutional donors and their compliance requirements with proven experience of developing successful funding proposals, contract management including consortia grants
- Strong understanding of localization agenda as well as partnership approaches and tools
- Commitment to integrate gender, protection conflict sensitivity and accountability into programming
- Keen understanding of the complexities in the Middle East region
- Master's degree in political science, international development, humanitarian assistance &/ or other relevant field.
- Full professional proficiency in English (verbal and written)
- Arabic – preferred
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Area Managers
- Sector Staff in programme
- Senior Management team in country, and regional/HQ programme staff
- Other NGOs, donors, UN and wider humanitarian community
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
What We Offer
Contract length: (24) months
Start date: January 20th, 2024
Duty station: Beirut – with travel to field locations
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates or Nationals. This position will be placed at Management (E) band.
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the below link:
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: December 1st, 2023
Due to the urgency of position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, DRC reserves the right of conducting tests and interviews before the closing date, and can close the advertisement earlier in case of finding a suitable candidate.