DRS (DevelopmentAid Recruitment Solutions) is looking for an Organizational Transformation, Learning, And Knowledge Management Advisor to support our client’s work in the organizational transformation effort to establish full capacity to implement this strategy.
Title of the role: Organizational Transformation, Learning, And Knowledge Management Advisor
Supervisor: Organizational Transformation Director, Learning Analytics Activity
Location: Addis, Ababa
Type of work: Full-time role
Travelling: Once or twice per year
Starting date: As soon as possible
Type of contract: Annual contract with the opportunity for renewal until 3-6 months prior to the close of the LAA
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is Ethiopia’s largest bilateral donor and operates one of the largest and most complex development portfolios in Sub-Saharan Africa. Foreign assistance priorities are in the areas of humanitarian assistance, food security, economic growth, health, education democracy and governance. The Mission is emerging from a period of significant change, including mandatory evacuation, internal domestic conflict, and domestic travel restrictions. The Mission is launching its five-year strategy development process in FY 2024. The Mission is embarking upon a significant organizational transformation effort to establish full capacity to implement this strategy.
Djibouti is also a key strategic partner to the United States in the Horn of Africa. Djibouti faces many challenges, including chronic drought and food insecurity; a lack of skilled workers; high unemployment; high electricity costs; poor health indicators; and a growing influx of refugees from throughout the region. Combined, these challenges severely strain the already limited resources of the Djiboutian government. USAID’s focus areas in Djibouti include Basic Education, Democracy, Human rights and Governance, Health, Power Africa, WASH, Women Empowerment and Workforce Development.
This role will, therefore, support the expansion of both USAID/Ethiopia and USAID/Djibouti capacity through organizational development and learning approaches and methods.
The objective of this role is to build capacity within USAID for sustained performance improvement through the identification, definition, and support of interventions that enhance the Mission’s systems, processes, people, and culture in line with the Mission’s Country Development Cooperation Strategy.
This position will be seconded to the Program Office of USAID/Ethiopia and Djibouti and technically reports to the MEL Team Lead within the USAID/Ethiopia Program Office. Administratively, the position reports to the Organizational Transformation Director from the Learning Analytics Activity (LAA), one of two activities under The Learning Project. The incumbent will serve as an Organizational Development and Learning Advisor for the Ethiopia and Djibouti Missions, staffed as an Institutional Support Contractor by the Learning Analytics Activity.
Until the Summer of 2024, this position will coordinate closely with the Mission Strategic Advisor to support organizational health and development initiatives.
Under this Scope of Work, the Advisor shall perform, but not be limited to, the specific tasks specified under the following categories:
Organizational Transformation (70%)
· Manage and coordinate organizational development (OD) strategies and processes in alignment with the Mission’s OD Strategy and Organizational Health (OH) Framework, including the ongoing adaptation of the Mission’s OD Strategy and OH Framework.
· Measure the OD needs of the Mission, Office and Teams based on the OH Framework.
· Lead the design, development and implementation of OD-oriented interventions tailored to meet the Mission’s needs and strategic goals, including serving as a primary line of quality control and client management.
· Prepare resource recommendations that address scoped interventions and provide for effective management of resources by the Learning Project.
· Design and execute key programmatic elements of the OD Strategy.
· Evaluate strategies and programs to measure the achievement of established goals in line with the OH Framework.
· Assist with the provision of expert facilitation and coaching to supervisors and managers regarding OD methods and tools.
· Provide consultative services to the Mission and Offices regarding mentoring.
· Plan and lead short- and long-term planning for OD interventions.
Learning and Knowledge Management (30%)
· Serve as liaison between organizational development and organizational learning for the Ethiopia and Djibouti Missions – in coordination with internal Agency and external stakeholders.
· Design and lead the implementation of strategies to enhance knowledge management (KM) in the Mission.
· Champion, support, and coach on Mission knowledge management (KM) systems, processes, and capacity strengthening.
· Assess the effectiveness of KM interventions – including Learning Project support – and adapt them for improved effectiveness and efficiency.
· Ensure KM approaches enable existing and emerging CLA practices.
· Lead Mission staff and partners to work at the highest standards of CLA and cultivate robust learning.
· Support Mission technical office and Learning Project staff to utilize findings and lessons of evaluations and other relevant assessments.
· Cultivate a culture of innovation, based on inquiry, experimentation, understanding of and risk tolerance, and a commitment to learning from both success and failure - based upon USAID policies and guidance.
Qualification, Experience, and Skills:
Education: Possession of an advanced university degree in relevant subject areas, with a preference for qualifications in Organizational Development, Business Administration, HR, International Development, or related fields.
Candidates with a Bachelor's degree or a degree in a different field must demonstrate a minimum of ten years of relevant experience.
· Over seven years of pertinent experience in organizational development, showcasing the ability to drive improvement within organizations, including reforming OD-supportive functions like strategy, human resources, and internal communications.
· A minimum of three years working in developing countries, with a preference for experience in Sub-Saharan Africa.
· Familiarity with knowledge management.
· Proven track record of building and maintaining partnerships with governmental entities, private sector organizations, and non-governmental entities, necessitating significant experience in leading initiatives in medium to large organizations.
· Deep understanding of donor, non-governmental organization, or public sector dynamics.
· Prior experience working on USAID missions.
· Previous work experience in developing countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
· Preference for candidates with on-the-field experience in developing countries.
· Demonstrated excellence in management, decision-making, and interpersonal skills.
· Proficiency in organizational development, training, coaching, and facilitation.
· Strong and compelling oral and written English communication skills suitable for various organizational levels, including senior executives, mid-level managers, and entry-level team members.
Applications and updated CVs should be submitted to email@example.com, under the title: DRS 11593 (ref. number). Due to the high number of applications received via the DevelopmentAid website, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only. Please note that the above requirements can be modified during the recruitment process according to the client's procedures.