Enabel is the Belgian development agency. Our mission is to build a sustainable world where all live under the rule of law and are free to thrive. With our partners, we offer solutions addressing pressing global challenges – Climate Change, Social and Economic Inequalities, Urbanisation, Peace and Security, Human Mobility – and promoting Global Citizenship.
We have over 20 years' experience in areas ranging from education and health care to agriculture, environmental protection, digitalisation, employment and governance. Enabel’s expertise is eagerly sought-after by partners around the globe – ranging from the Belgian government, European Union institutions, governments of other countries and the private sector. We work with civil society, research institutes as well as businesses and we foster fruitful interaction between development policy and other areas.
With over 2.100 staff, Enabel manages over 200 projects in more than twenty countries, in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
Belgium intends to start a partnership with Ukraine and relies on Enabel as a catalyst to support Belgium with the reconstruction, mitigation of the social impact of the war and economic recovery of Ukraine.
To this end, Enabel is looking for a Country Director based in Kyiv.
While working closely with the Belgian diplomatic representation in Ukraine, the Enabel Country Director is responsible for steering the development and implementation of a partnership between Ukraine and Belgium. He or she will be responsible for implementing this partnership through a multi-modal, multi-stakeholder approach. He or she also strengthens the impact of Belgium in the country by prospecting, negotiating and implementing projects for other financing partners. The Country Director permanently ensures the relevance, sustainability and effectiveness of the projects implemented by Enabel.
The Country Director in particularly ensures to:
- Promote the efficiency, accountability and effectiveness of the Enabel activities while encouraging complementarity and coherence with the initiatives proposed by other Belgian ministries and ensuring that Belgian public expertise is taken advantage of. This approach aims to ensure that efforts are coordinated between the various Belgian government bodies, agencies, departments and organisations involved in the reconstruction, minimising duplication and optimising the allocation of resources.
- Promote the expertise of Belgium in international development and its added value for the country concerned.
- Provide documented analyses to support Belgian policy-making.
- Develop the Enabel programme by generating projects for other financing partners.
- Guarantee operational excellence and encourage teams to think outside the box to achieve concrete development results by acting as a role model and providing leadership to the team in the country and in Brussels.
- Ensure optimal use of available resources whilst having Enabel rules and procedures respected.
- Contribute to strategic thinking and inform Enabel's approach in Ukraine, or more widely.
- Innovate the Belgian governmental cooperation strategy taking into account international cooperation priorities of Belgium and of its partners.
- Guarantee the achievement of development results and the sustainability of the impact targeted by the strategy developed for the country.
- Negotiate partnerships to strengthen the impact of the Belgian government cooperation.
- Participate in circles of influence and ensure a dynamic and positive image exists of Enabel within the country.
- Lead the country's multidisciplinary team towards achieving objectives and producing the best results to the satisfaction of clients (institutional partners, citizens, financing partners).
- Manage the country office of Enabel in order to realise the objectives and to use the available resources in a secure and efficient way.
- You hold a master’s degree.
Experience and requirements
- Be a Belgian national.
- Preferably at least 10 years' experience in:
o international project management, in the international cooperation or private sector;
o international experience, preferably in similar context,
o experience in networking and contract negotiation,
o experience in team management.
- Mastery of French, Dutch and English.
Knowledge of Ukrainian is an asset.
- Be prepared to move to Ukraine and after a few years be prepared to expatriate and work in another Enabel duty station.
- Strategic competencies: You have a good understanding of the challenges and opportunities of international cooperation, of the new trends and of the main (public as well as private) actors.
- Operational competencies: You can outline clear strategies and define very stringent objectives. You organise a team and lead its members towards achieving fixed results.
- Policy insights: You manage with ease even complex situations in which several actors are involved and you seize opportunities, considering the various stakes at work whilst learning from the experience in order to optimally serve the organisation’s objectives.
- Interpersonal competencies: You are an excellent negotiator, you persevere in the pursuit of your objectives, while finding solutions and compromises where necessary.
- Leadership: You establish a team spirit, including the organisation’s own staff as well as staff working for other organisations; you promote collaboration within as well as outside the organisation.
- Integrity: You are sincere and transparent; you instil trust.
We offer you
An open-ended contract (class 7 – generic function of reference: Resident Representative).
The gross monthly salary varies in function of relevant experience.
Expatriation and hardship allowances, a contribution for moving and installation, school expenses, flight tickets, family allowances, insurance coverage, reimbursement of medical costs and a retirement contribution. These amounts vary in function of the family composition.
An official residence that is suitable for representation activities, in an international and secure setting.