DT Global is shaping a future where sustainable development and innovation empower individuals, communities, and nations. We work in partnership with local stakeholders to foster inclusive prosperity, social equity, and environmental stewardship. Our global team of 2,500 staff and experts work in over 90 countries to solve complex problems in the peacebuilding, governance, economic development, environment, and human development sectors. With a track record of technical excellence and more than 60 years of international development experience and relationships, we deliver innovative solutions that transform lives.
DT Global is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party - Technical (DCOP-T) for the anticipated USAID-funded Civic DEFENDERS (Digital Freedom Enabling Networks to Defend Rights and Security) Activity. Civic DEFENDERS will be a global program that supports local civil society, independent media, and human rights defenders to better prevent, mitigate, and respond to digital repression in their own contexts, particularly in closed and closing spaces. Civic DEFENDERS will focus on building long-term, local resilience among civil society and independent media through a networked approach involving global, regional, and local actors. The activity will likely provide technical assistance on digital security, digital governance advocacy and engagement, and censorship circumvention and anonymity tools.
The DCOP-T will be responsible for day-to-day oversight of technical project implementation and strategy. They will provide expertise on digital repression and internet freedom, leveraging their experience and skills to develop strategic approaches, manage activity implementation effectively, and mitigate programmatic challenges. The DCOP-T will have a demonstrated ability to manage diverse teams remotely in complex environments, with a demonstrated commitment to quality, compliance, and timeliness. The DCOP-T must possess the intellectual, communications, leadership, and managerial skills necessary to develop, articulate, and assist implementation of the program.
The DCOP-T will report to the Chief of Party (COP) and work closely with the DCOP – Operations (DCOP – Ops). This position will be based in Washington, DC and is only open to individuals with a legal right to work in the United States. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project, and selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
- Liaise closely with the DCOP – Ops and the COP to ensure effective technical alignment with operational strategy and priorities, as well as the technical team’s compliance with administrative, operational, and finance standards and requirements.
- Support the COP in providing programmatic oversight and leadership; serve as acting COP when required.
- Manage technical activity design, ensuring compliance with contract objectives as well as the incorporation of global best practices in digital security and internet freedom.
- Lead the development of quick-response intervention strategies to respond to new or emerging digital repression challenges and concerns.
- Work with technical advisors and partners to conduct relevant research and analysis to inform USAID’s digital security, internet freedom, and governance policies in repressive contexts.
- Provide technical assistance to partners and advisors to ensure planned activities are implemented as per the required standards, policies, and best practices.
- Create and sustain efficient mechanisms and standards for collaboration and learning across program regions and partners.
- Coordinate with the MEL team to develop timely and quality reporting of the project’s results and document best practices and lessons learned to share with stakeholders and development partners to influence policy and practice on a wider scale.
- Build and sustain a motivated, results-oriented team that is effective in organizing and implementing the work and coordinating with partners.
- Work with COP to ensure clear and consistent communications with donors, partners and other stakeholders regarding project activities and accomplishments.
- Represent DT Global and the project to USAID and other stakeholders in public settings.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required in cybersecurity, computer engineering, IT, network security, or related field.
- At least eight years of relevant professional experience in digital security, internet freedom advocacy, digital governance, or related field.
- Experience working with civil society and/or independent media in challenging contexts to build coalitions and strengthen collective advocacy.
- Experience managing and executing digital security- or internet freedom-related activities for donor-funded programs, including experience leading large teams and developing workplans and activity strategy documents.
- Demonstrated ability to use MEL findings to inform project adjustments and maximize effectiveness.
- Demonstrated experience with remote implementation, preferably in closed or closing contexts or otherwise insecure environments.
- Personnel and resource management, coordination, troubleshooting, and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, flexibility, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced environment.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; language proficiency in Spanish, Russian, Arabic, or another widely spoken language preferred.
- Must have the legal right to work and live in the United States.
TEAMWORK: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
COMMUNICATION: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
ADAPTABILITY: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
CUSTOMER/CLIENT FOCUSED: Anticipates, monitors and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
PROFESSIONALISM: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DT Global, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. DT Global, LLC prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.