DT Global is shaping a future where sustainable development and innovation empower individuals, communities, and nations. We work in partnership with local stakeholders to foster inclusive prosperity, social equity, and environmental stewardship. Our global team of 2,500 staff and experts work in over 90 countries to solve complex problems in the peacebuilding, governance, economic development, environment, and human development sectors. With a track record of technical excellence and more than 60 years of international development experience and relationships, we deliver innovative solutions that transform lives.
DT Global is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party – Operations (DCOP-Ops) for the anticipated Civic DEFENDERS (Digital Freedom Enabling Networks to Defend Rights and Security) Activity. Civic DEFENDERS will be a global program that supports local civil society, independent media, and human rights defenders to better prevent, mitigate, and respond to digital repression in their own contexts, particularly in closed and closing spaces. Civic DEFENDERS will focus on building long-term, local resilience among civil society and independent media through a networked approach involving global, regional, and local actors. The activity will likely provide technical assistance on digital security, digital governance advocacy and engagement, and censorship circumvention and anonymity tools.
The DCOP-Ops will be responsible for day-to-day oversight and management of project operations, finance, administration, logistics, procurement, and grants activities. They will provide guidance and leadership to operations staff and ensure compliance with USAID standards and regulations. The DCOP-Ops will have a demonstrated ability to manage diverse teams remotely in complex environments, with a demonstrated commitment to quality, compliance, and timeliness. The DCOP-Ops must possess the intellectual, communications, leadership, and managerial skills necessary to develop, articulate and assist implementation of the program.
The DCOP-Ops will report to the Chief of Party (COP) and work closely with the Deputy Chief of Party – Technical (DCOP-T). This position will be based in Washington, DC and is only open to individuals with a legal right to work in the United States. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project, and selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
- Oversee the project’s day-to-day operations and staff, including finance, administration, operations, procurement, contractual and regulation compliance, logistics, security, and human resources.
- Liaise closely with the DCOP-T and the COP to ensure that operational strategy aligns with technical priorities and that all administrative, operational, and finance standards and requirements are met.
- Support the COP in providing operational and administrative oversight and leadership; serve as acting COP when required.
- Ensure transparency and accuracy in contractual reporting, financial reporting, procurements, hiring, and all other operational aspects of the project.
- Lead development of activity budgets and oversee related monitoring and tracking of obligations and expenditures.
- Apply extensive knowledge of USAID regulations and compliance; build capacity of project staff and partners in systems and processes as needed to equip them to adhere to these regulations.
- Provide significant contributions to the development of project workplans, donor reporting, and strategic guidance documents to improve compliance, feasibility, and knowledge sharing.
- Work closely with regional and national partners to deliver compliant, effective, and timely finance and operations management and support.
- Coordinate closely with DT Global’s headquarters-based Program Management Unit (PMU) to ensure project activities are compliant from an operational, financial, and administrative standpoint.
- Identify and implement new ways of achieving operational efficiencies.
- Encourage mentorship and capacity building of staff; conduct operational training and refreshers as needed throughout the life of the project.
- Represent DT Global and the project to USAID and other stakeholders in public settings.
- At least eight years of relevant professional experience in project management; experience in an operational role managing digital security, internet freedom advocacy, digital governance, or related projects preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required in economics, management, public policy and administration, finance, development administration, or any related field.
- Fluency in USAID’s policies and procedures concerning human resources, financial management and reporting, procurement processes, systems, and grant management.
- Experience with grants or small grants under contract programs strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with remote implementation, preferably in closed or closing contexts or otherwise insecure environments.
- Personnel and resource management, coordination, troubleshooting, and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, flexibility, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced environment.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; language proficiency in Spanish, Russian, Arabic, or another widely spoken language preferred.
- Must have the legal right to work and live in the United States.
TEAMWORK: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
COMMUNICATION: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
ADAPTABILITY: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
CUSTOMER/CLIENT FOCUSED: Anticipates, monitors and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
PROFESSIONALISM: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DT Global, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. DT Global, LLC prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.