📅 10 October 2022
The unprovoked and unjustified Russian invasion of Ukraine shook the European security architecture to its foundations and prompted an urgent reassessment of Europe’s geopolitical role. It also revealed weaknesses resulting from the EU’s energy dependence. Addressing these challenges requires a robust financial response and a forward-looking vision at the global and European levels.
This year’s Annual EU Budget Conference focuses on the role of the EU budget in supporting Europe’s geopolitical role and building up its strategic autonomy.
High-level speakers – European and global policymakers, researchers, representatives of think tanks, civil society, and business leaders – will debate on a broad range of topical questions in a lively, open, and inclusive discussion, to which the wider audience will be invited to contribute.
To honor the European Year of Youth, young people will also participate and present their vision on how to build Europe’s strategic autonomy and strengthen its geopolitical role.
Key questions will cover:
- How does the EU budget help us face global challenges while continuing to support the economic recovery?
- The Russian invasion prompted some EU countries to scale up national defense spending. What is the role of the EU budget in this new environment?
- How does Europe finance its needs for energy and the green transition? Are the funds planned to date sufficient?
- Is the EU budget up to the task of creating a geopolitical and strategically autonomous Europe?
- How do young people perceive the future of the EU budget in the new geopolitical context?