Horizon Europe (2021 - 2027)

Recycling of Low Value Components Using High Purity Pre-treatment, Direct Recycling and Green Hydrometallurgical Approaches for Recycling of Lithium Ion and Sodium Ion Batteries: REVITALISE

Last update: May 23, 2024 Last update: May 23, 2024

Details

Locations:France, Germany, Ireland, Norway, Spain, UK
Start Date:Nov 1, 2023
End Date:Oct 31, 2026
Contract value: EUR 3,477,606
Sectors:Electrical Engineering, Pollution & Waste Manageme ... See more Electrical Engineering, Pollution & Waste Management (incl. treatment)
Categories:Grants
Date posted:May 23, 2024

Associated funding

Associated experts

Description

Programme(s):
HORIZON.2.5 - Climate, Energy and Mobility 
HORIZON.2.5.9 - Energy Storage

Topic(s): HORIZON-CL5-2023-D2-01-02 - New processes for upcoming recycling feeds (Batt4EU Partnership)

Call for proposal: HORIZON-CL5-2023-D2-01

Funding Scheme: HORIZON-RIA - HORIZON Research and Innovation Actions

Grant agreement ID: 101137585

Objective:

REVITALISE delivers a holistic solution for green, low-cost, and low environmental impact recycling of NMC (Hi-Ni), LFP and Na-Ion batteries, representing 85% of battery waste streams up to 2025. REVITALISE develops low-cost and green processes to recover a full range of battery materials, including NMC, LFP, Al, Cu, Li, graphite, fluorides, phosphates and plastics. Overall recycling rates of 91%+ will be proven at TRL4 for waste processed from post-production scrap and end-of-life battery black mass. REVITALISE will develop innovative pre-treatment technologies based on electrohydraulic fragmentation, ultrasonication and magnetic, and electrostatic separation that will achieve very high levels of material stream purity. This will enable commercially viable recycling of lowvalue parts. The approach will enable direct recycling of 40% of the cathode and anode active parts, with direct characterisation of the lithiation (or sodiation) being developed that will be used as a basis of a smart-reformation approach for reclaimed active materials. The remaining 60% being suitable for hydrometallurgical recycling based on leaching with green organic acids from food waste, such as vitamin C (ascorbates), vinegar (acetate) and citric acid (citrates) and inorganic acids produced from industrial wastes. A further innovation is the development of water remediation with Li recovery from all wastewater streams generated, through the implementation of polymeric nanocomposite membrane separation with direct Li recycling for Li in water concentrations down to 0.6mg/L. The recycled parts will be assessed for (closed-loop) battery and other secondary applications for precursors and semi-products by industrial partners Verkor and Hydro, through reformulation and upcycling of battery materials and validation of remanufactured batteries. An optimised process flow will be determined to achieve commercially viable recycling with maximised recovery rates and minimal environmental impact.

Want to unlock full information?
Member-only information. Become a member to access projects awards, find the right consortia partners, subcontractors and more.