SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV’s WASH initiatives in both a rural and an urban context will provide access to improved drinking water services and/or improved sanitation facilities for 5 million people from 2019 to 2022. Access to water and sanitation is a human right, and we work with local governments to realise that right in their area, aiming at area-wide services. Our work improves environmental health by reducing pathways for disease transmission, and reduces both untreated human waste and wastewater.
Long-term sustainability lies at the core of our work. Through our Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development (USHHD) approach, we strengthen public governance around WASH services, support institutional changes and capacity, develop financially viable services, and improve asset management of existing WASH infrastructure. This includes strengthening the roles of civil society and the private sector in advocacy and operation, as well as promoting sector and stakeholder dialogue and reflection about changing needs and standards in the light of increasing urbanisation and the Sustainable Development Goals. Gender equality, social inclusion, and youth employment are priority themes across all projects.
With SNV’s move from a WASH sector to a water sector, our urban water work will now include a broader water cycle perspective, potentially including water supply, sanitation, solid waste, grey water, storm water and floods and droughts.
SNV has been working in some of the poorest regions of Bangladesh since 2006 across three sectors, in partnership with government institutions, private sector and local organisations. Since 2014, WASH sector is delivering ground-breaking work in safely managed sanitation on the dense urban centres of Southern Bangladesh. We bid for a system change by strengthening local government and service providers’ capacities, changing hygiene behaviours and providing sustainable, scalable and market driven solutions. More about our WASH interventions.
Overview of the position
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team in Bangladesh to further build on SNV’s WASH programmes. We encourage passionate professionals looking to influence the sector. Under guidance of the global sector head, developing the transition from WASH to a broader WATER sector in the country.
The key roles for the WASH Sector Leader :
1) Responsible for the overall supervision and management of WASH portfolio, steering the quality of technical advisory services, and ensuring an alignment with Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development (USHHD) approach;
2) Lead the identification and development of business opportunities for the WASH sector and future water sector in the country.
3) Responsible for building and maintaining relations in-country with National Government, donors, and other organisations of the sector;
4) Enhance the quality and visibility of our WASH programmes and position SNV within the (inter) national WASH sector; and
5) Assumes the role of in-country Program Manager for the WASH SDGs Programme and potentially new portfolio for the sector.
The WASH Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks. Contribute to SNV as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
- Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative WASH programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local capacity builders and consultants;
- Relationship Management: ensure cordial relationships with variety of partners connecting different processes in a competitive market and identify strategic alliances and networks to invest in;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programmes in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Knowledge management: Facilitate learning, documentation and evidence based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in urban WASH service delivery including at least 5 years in a management role, preferably in Bangaldesh/Asia;
- Experience in urban sanitation;
· A sound understanding of the WASH SDG 6, with particular attention to the needs of women, girls and other vulnerable groups;
· A thorough understanding of the institutional, technical and financial aspects influencing sustainable WASH service delivery beyond the community level.
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in resource mobilisation with demonstrated, excellent writing skills;
- Demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
- Interest to collaborate, contribute to and learn from peers in SNV’s global WASH network;
- Established WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
- Proficiency in English speaking, reading and writing required;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Reports to: Country Director
Contract Duration: 2 years
Contract Type: International contract
Expected Start Date: as soon as possible
Information Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Travel to Projects: In-country approximately 20%
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation indicating salary expectations by clicking on the "I'm interested" button by the 19th of May 2022.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement-