Background Information - Job-specific
Digital Services Section (DSS), is located in the Information Management Branch (IMB) of United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Its mandate is to strengthen the response capacity of the humanitarian relief community through the timely dissemination of reliable information on response, preparedness and disaster prevention.
DSS manages a portfolio of information services provided by OCHA for online audiences including ReliefWeb, ReliefWeb Response, and Humanitarian ID. This involves 24/7 oversight, content and operations management (NY, NBI, BKK) for all services; and a dedicated product management capacity to continuously improve delivery of relevant information via web, mobile or social channels to target audiences.
** Even though the duty station is listed as New York, USA, consideration may be given to allow the position to be home-based depending on the incumbent’s personal situation. For home-based position, EST time zone will be strongly preferred and a location-specific fee scale will be applied in determining the contractor’s fee.**
Under the direct supervision of the Digital Operations Assistant, the Programme Assistant will join the Operations team that facilitates the work of content and product teams within the Section.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
I. Reports team management
- Act as primary point of contact for the content management team on matters related to administration, workflow and collaboration, scheduling and assignments, policies and guidance;
- Provide Quality Assurance support for all services and deliverables of the content management team
- Monitor and evaluate content management tasks, and escalate issues and risks to managers; make recommendations on productivity, performance and risk mitigations;
- Assess capacity requirements and manage scheduling of personnel; monitor and regularly report on the content management capacity, identify shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and bring to the attention of the Digital Operations Assistant.
- Provide support for contractual arrangements, renewals, recruitment, onboarding, payroll, project budget projections and other administrative matters relating to the content management team personnel
II. Content management operations support
- Assist the Digital Operations Assistant in implementing, monitoring and maintaining standards, policies, workflows and guidelines for efficient and effective management of content management operations; undertake maintenance of content management tools and resources.
- Assist the Digital Operations Assistant in documenting and monitoring content projects and making strategic recommendations to team members and managers on a regular basis; manage conflicts and escalate issues as appropriate
- Support the configuration of productivity and collaboration tools and their knowledge management within the team;
III. Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
- A high school diploma is required.
- A technical diploma in a relevant field may substitute 2 years of relevant experience.
- A Bachelor's degree in a relevant field is preferred and may substitute 4 years of relevant experience.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field with some experience may substitute 5 years of relevant experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area.
- Digital information literacy as well as knowledge of basic Internet standards and technologies (i.e. Microsoft Office 365 products)
Desirable: (the following experience is optional; candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):
- Experience with digital content products;
- Experience working on distributed teams;
- Experience with Agile project management methodologies, such as Kanban;
- Good knowledge of and hands-on expertise with Salesforce configuration;
- Good knowledge of and hands-on expertise with data analytics like Power BI;
- Familiarity with international affairs, including emergency response, disaster management, peacebuilding and peacekeeping, conflict resolution, human rights and IHL
- Strong communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and work both independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Fluency English (read, write, speak) is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language (French and/or Spanish) is an asset.