Palladium is a global company working to design, develop and deliver positive impact on the lives and livelihoods of people around the globe; broaden access to health, water, power, and infrastructure; build enduring, sustainable, and transformative institutions and market systems to address global challenges; and conserve the natural world. We operate in over 90 countries and have a workforce of 4,000 talented, motivated, and diverse staff of all religions, races, languages, and gender identities.
Palladium is seeking an Associate, Project Delivery to support our work on two USAID-funded projects: the Malawi MOMENTUM TYIENI Activity and the Uganda Health Systems Strengthening (UHSS) Activity. MOMENTUM is a five-year $52 million USAID-funded program aiming to scale up and integrate maternal, neonatal, and child health (MNCH), reproductive health (RH), family planning, nutrition, and COVID-19 services, emphasize the importance of quality care, and weave respectful care in health service delivery in seven districts across Malawi. UHSS is a five-year $48 million USAID-funded program The purpose of UHSS is to improve the performance of Uganda’s health systems through technical assistance to improve leadership and accountability in public and private health sectors at the national, sub-national, and community levels; increase efficient use, governance, and management of key health system resources including human resources for health, finance, equipment/infrastructure; and strengthen state and non-state community health systems that are critical for improved and quality health services. It is expected that this position will work approximately 50% on each project.
The Associate, Project Delivery, is a valued member of the Project Management Unit that is responsible for the management and delivery of projects. The Associate position supports the management of effective and efficient financial and compliance activities to deliver work in accordance with contractual obligations, company policies, local country settings, and client rules and regulations. This involves completing a variety of substantive and administrative tasks that are critical to high-quality project management.
The position is based in Palladium’s Washington D.C. office.
You and Your Career:
If you are a problem-solver, collaborator, and doer, and you have experience in financial reporting, procurement/operations, are attentive to detail, and have strong organizational skills we are interested in hearing from you.
We are a learning organization and provide growth opportunities from the start. We pride ourselves on giving you the freedom, resources, and guidance to chart a fulfilling career!
Reporting and Supervision:
- The role reports directly to the Senior Manager, Project Delivery
- Internally the role will be required to liaise closely with other staff of the MOMENTUM and UHSS Projects, including the Project Director, in-country project team, corporate business services teams, Process Excellence Hub, and other units within the Americas Regional Business Partnership
- Externally the role may liaise with clients, subcontractors, grantees, and suppliers
- The role carries a degree of autonomy with appropriate consultation
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support project start-up and closeout
- Serve as a liaison between the project and the Process Excellence Hub
- Contribute to the preparation and maintenance of project specific components of the project management manual
- Learn and contribute to training of project staff on company policies, procedures, and guidelines and client rules and regulations (covering for example: security, occupational health and safety, risk management, planning, human resource management, monitoring, reporting, finance, procurement, logistics, IT, communications, audit support and all other such implementation matters)
- Support the development and presentation of internal and external reporting, (quarterly Internal Project Reviews, project risk assessments, annual reviews, and client deliverables) and ensure these outputs are fit for purpose
- Ensure project issues and risks are logged, monitored, and updated in the issues and risk register
- Learn to review procurements, budgets, reports, and other documents to ensure compliance with relevant policies and procedures; may conduct spot checks on processes and internal controls including reviewing asset management procedures and updated asset registers for each project
- Support development of project subcontractor and grants management procedures compliant with both internal policies and procedures, and client rules and regulations, and monitor implementation/reporting
- Assist with internal PMU administration, including drafting weekly meeting agendas, tracking tasks, maintaining calendars and deadline reminders
- Work towards anticipating project needs and providing compliant, flexible recommendations on processes, or assigned responsibilities, such as suggesting adequate timelines for reviews and coordination between home office and country offices, proactively handling PMU administrative tasks, etc.
- Contribute to technical assistance through reviews, engaging in work planning and discussions with the country-based teams, etc. to build skills with the goal of taking on a more senior role
Contract and Client Relationship Management
Support contract amendments as required
Provide inputs and support to other PMU members on any client communication or reporting needs
- Support monitoring expenditure against budgets and forecasts, including staff costs, operating expenses and procurements; reconciles & reports on all advances monthly
- Assist with project financial and cash-flow planning, process monthly Funds Transfer Requests and payments for assigned projects
- Review cashbooks / field vouchers and ensure supporting documentation is complete
- Help coordinate service providers and process work orders and invoices
- Assist with internal financial reporting and tasks including accruals and reviewing client invoices
- Support audit processes and ensures retention of project records is compliant with company policy
Human Resource Management and Recruitment
- Coordinate input and support from HR for recruitment and contracting staff and consultants
- Coordinate project staff recruitment and due diligence (i.e., posting job descriptions, due diligence, compliance spot checks, biodata verification, record retention, and contract preparation and onboarding)
- Maintain project data on relevant systems for short-term and long-term staff and consultants
- Support the mobilization and demobilization of all international staff (short-term and long-term) including contracting, travel management, security, approvals, payments and induction
Key Competencies Required:
- Works with respect and dignity for all colleagues and contributes to a cooperative team working environment
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyze financial reports
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Basic understanding of management including organizational skills and attention to detail
- Sound problem-solving and decision-making skills
- A successful track record working on multiple priorities, and past performance of independently completing work assignments on time with acceptable quality.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team when required
Professional Expertise/Competencies Preferred:
- Experience implementing USAID-funded programs
- Familiarity with USAID rules and regulations
- Experience reviewing country or activity work plans, preparing and reviewing activity budgets