We are looking for a motivated and talented Development Head who will help us grow our non-profit income and expand our pool of donors. Working closely with Kizazi’s leadership team, the post-holder will help secure and sustain existing and future funding streams. They will be required to develop our fundraising strategy, research and identify potential new funders, submit applications, build our external voice in the donor community, and provide procurement and administrative support during final funding negotiations. The post-holder will cover the whole spectrum of fundraising duties and needs to think strategically and work operationally. They will also need to be confident in coordinating donor relationships as required.
Additionally as the lead for communications, the post holder will also be responsible for setting, guiding and implementing the strategy to consistently articulate Kizazi’s mission via all communication collaterals, digital and social media platforms, public relations activities and events.
Kizazi is a global non-profit organization which works with local NGOs and governments to develop and spread new models for schools in under-resourced contexts. It has been developed by former leaders from Teach For All and Teach For India and its current core partnerships are in South Asia, West Asia and Africa.
Our work at Kizazi to develop breakthrough school models recognizes the importance of developing broader student outcomes and for education to be truly responsive to the context of the world and more specifically the context of children in the communities we serve. We know that education and schools today need to acknowledge and respond to the conflict, discrimination, trauma and adversity that children growing up in poverty endure.
The long-term impact of this role will be seen in enabling Kizazi to scale and reach millions of children across the world, supporting them to lead thriving lives, and in the process cultivating advocates and champions of our work.
The near-term outcomes of the role will be to build sustainable resource streams for the organization to meet its growth goals over the next three years and to shape our communication function to enhance our external profile.
Fundraising Strategy and Pipeline Development
- Hold responsibility for the development, delivery and management of the fundraising strategy
- Research the global and local funding market, identifying leads and potential calls for proposals
- Lead the development of proposals, their submission and track follow-up with the funder
- Provide procurement support during final funding negotiations
- Deploy and maintain a CRM system to manage database of prospective and current donors
- Develop and maintain effective systems for tracking and planning fundraising, consistent with Kizazi’s operational requirements and policies
- Help to deepen relationships with existing partners and donors, either through direct engagement or by supporting and coordinating engagement activity with colleagues
- Coordinate and ensure programmatic and financial reporting to donors is delivered on time and to Kizazi quality standards, and begin renewal processes
- Develop organizational collaterals that can be readily used by Kizazi to inform and cultivate new external partners
- Develop and implement Kizazi’s communications strategy, including traditional and social media channels
- Develop and manage external communication efforts to enhance Kizazi’s brand image and advance our mission including developing messages and collaterals on a range of relevant topics
- Draw on Kizazi staff knowledge to understand and capture our work at global, national and local level in our fundraising and communication collaterals
Person Specifications (Essential/ Desirable)
- Evidenced track record of developing successful fundraising applications to foundations, bilateral or other institutional grant funders, and governments including responses to EoI and RFP calls (E)
- NGO or social sector experience (E)
- Experience of working in the public education sector (D)
- Experience of fundraising beyond philanthropic trusts & foundations to include high-net-worth individuals & the private sector (D)
- Experience of fundraising for global projects and offices (D)
Skills & Abilities
- Outstanding communication skills, including experience of communicating effectively across varied audiences, both verbally and in writing (E)
- Excellent planning and project management skills (E)
- Strong financial management and budgeting skills (D)
- Ability to present and interpret complex information (E)
- Outstanding research skills, including identifying and monitoring potential funders )E)
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional fundraising, including research sources and funding criteria (E)
- Good knowledge of the African or South Asian fundraising landscape (D)
- Comfort in working to meet deadlines with strict attention to accuracy (E)
- Adept at working independently with minimal support (E)
- Comfort working in ambiguous, complex and changing environments of a start-up (E)
While these are the specifications we are looking for in the person, we also believe that no one meets 100% of the listed qualifications. We are less concerned about whether you’ve done everything on a list of specific things and more interested in cultivating a diverse pool of candidates who have prior experience in a relevant role and who want to join a connected, mission-driven, hard-working team driven by equity.
Some unusual hours are to be expected given the virtual, global nature of the work.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience & location
How to apply
You can apply by completing this Google Form here.
Last date to submit application: 19th February, 2022
Location: Any country where the candidate has work authorization, we will however give higher preference to candidates from our operating regions of Sub-saharan Africa and South Asia.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community. Kizazi is an equal opportunities employer and in line with our policies, we aim to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation or disability.
Kizazi values diverse experiences and voices across multiple dimensions and is committed to cultivating a culture where all people count, feel they belong, and are valued for their contributions.
Kizazi is committed to safeguarding children. Background checks may be conducted as part of the hiring process. All team members are asked to agree to a safeguarding policy.