Location: Lima, Peru
Start Date: December 2023
Placement Length: 12 Months
Language Requirements: Spanish Level 4-Advanced
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada Only
The Volunteer’s Role
Use your communications skills to contribute to the implementation of urban agriculture projects in the South of Lima in the districts of Villa El Salvador, Villa Maria del Triunfo and San Juan de Miraflores. The projects involve the creation and strengthening of agro-ecological community gardens and the creation and strengthening of agro-ecological school brigades.
Are you interested in joining this initiative promoting urban agriculture in the second-largest city located in a desert and working to make a big impact? If so, this position is for you! We need people with commitment, respect and a love for people.
Join Cuso International and apply for this position to support our partner organization in Peru.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Design and implementation of a communication plan for the AU gardens and their impacts.
- Management of social networks to promote the actions of the gardens and the school brigades.
- Elaboration of short and simple videos of testimonies and presentations of the gardeners.
- Prepare materials for photographic exhibitions of the AU.
- Generate visual instruments with the farmers as support materials for garden production (annual sowing plans, posters of good agroecological practices, among others).
- Disseminate the different actions of the actors of the AU.
- Support the actions and advocacy of the farmers.
- Articulate actions with the UA platform
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, political social marketing and/or related subjects
- Development or implementation of communication, marketing and/or branding strategies.
- Good writing, and editing of reports and publications
- Contribute to the INGEC team and urban agriculture organizations to improve outreach and dissemination of activities.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Creativity, judgement and ability to work both independently and in teams
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong command of the Spanish language (written and oral)
About Us, the Project and the Partner
Cuso International is an international cooperation and development organization that works to create economic and social opportunities for marginalized groups. Together with our partners, we are focused on efforts to advance gender equality and social inclusion, improve economic resilience, and deliver progress on climate action. We believe that by sharing skills, we can build better futures. Founded in 1961, Cuso International works in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
Project - Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE)
Cuso International will deliver the Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE) project, with a contribution from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) over seven years (2020-2027). SHARE aims to improve the economic and/or social well-being of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people, particularly women and girls, in developing countries, with a view to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. In addition to increasing engagement of Canadians in international development and key global issues, this project will aim to increase the performance of country partners to deliver more inclusive, innovative and environmentally sustainable development initiatives that advance gender equality, in support of the action areas of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
Partner - Integración, Gobernabilidad y Economía Circular (INGEC)
Integration, Governance and Circular Economy (INGEC) is a development promotion organisation made up of professionals with many years of experience in the fields of governance, territorial development, urban agriculture and circular economy, with a cross-cutting approach to equity and participation.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending on country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication, and health insurance
- Pre-departure training, in-country orientation, and reintegration debriefing, including travel and accommodation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
- Please note that if you are shortlisted for the placement, you will be required to:
- Provide two Professional References and one Personal Reference
- Complete an oral assessment during your preliminary telephone interview in the language required for your placement
- Obtain a Police Check at our request
- Complete a full medical exam and be medically cleared by the Cuso International Medical Advisor prior to your departure
- Due to the COVID-19 situation, be double vaccinated in accordance with the World Health Organization-approved vaccines
- We seek individuals who share our values and are dedicated to supporting marginalized groups, including those from the LGBTQIA+ communities
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.