In support of TOPS, EnCompass LLC is seeking a Mid-Level Gender and Climate Change Specialist to help with technical assistance and training related to the integration of gender into USAID climate and environment programming. The Gender and Climate Specialist will be embedded within USAID’s Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Hub (GenDev) and will help to ensure that programs funded by GenDev not only reflect USAID’s priorities related to gender equality and women’s empowerment, but also help to advance the agency’s new climate strategy goals. In addition, the Gender and Climate Specialist will support the development of the US National Strategy for Gender Equity and Equality. The ideal candidate will not only have experience in integrating gender into development programming, but will also have experience with capacity strengthening efforts, and will be passionate about climate change programming and climate finance.
This full-time role will be fully embedded within USAID’s GenDev team and will be based in the Washington DC area.This position will be working a hybrid work schedule with anticipated work from the office at least once a week. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Providing technical support for program design; helping to integrate gender into a wide range of USAID climate, environment, energy, and infrastructure programming
- Supporting development of guidance materials and other learning resources designed to support the integration of gender into climate programming throughout the agency
- Support, as needed, knowledge sharing activities within the agency
- Supporting management and administration of GenDev assistance and acquisition activities including those with a focus on gender-responsive climate finance, women’s leadership, and employment in Green Industries, and partnering with women to advance climate solutions.
- Supporting the specific focus on advancing gender-responsive climate action within USAID’s implementation plan for the US Government National Strategy on Gender Equity and Equality through tracking and monitoring progress, providing technical assistance, and garnering support from USAID missions
- Developing and maintaining positive and productive relationships with colleagues and co-workers across USAID
- Staying current with technical advancements in the field of climate, gender, and international development
- Traveling internationally in support of capacity strengthening efforts with USAID missions and partners a possibility, up to 3-5 trips a year (if possible)
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of relevant experience. Or Master’s degree and 5 years of experience. Preferred areas of study include international development, gender, climate adaptation or mitigation, economics, environment, or a related field.
Experience and Skills
- Experience with relevant topics such as mainstreaming gender into climate change and development programs, climate adaptation, climate change mitigation, equity, and climate finance required
- Experience working at the intersection of gender and international development required
- Experience analyzing and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative data, including programmatic results gleaned from monitoring and evaluation efforts
- Experience with and/or knowledge of USAID programming, approaches, monitoring and evaluation, and policy, including USAID climate policy and programming and/or USAID gender and women’s empowerment policy and programming required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate technical subject matter into actionable products for different audiences and users, both technical and non-technical
- Experience developing guidance materials, presentations, and other training resources
- Proficiency with MS Office suite and Google Apps
- Ability to work independently as needed, while also having excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and engage effectively in a team environment, including with teams that span organizational divisions or with people who have different communication or work styles
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities while maintaining a positive disposition in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to obtain and maintain a facilities security clearance
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the online application.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.