Application deadline: 6 April 2023
Duty Station: New York, USA
Contract level: IICA 2
- * Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!!!
- *CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Under the overall supervision of Senior Programme Manager and in direct supervision of Information Systems Officer – Web Services, the ICT Specialist – Webs Services will be performing the following functions:
Application Servers and Infrastructure Management
- System design and implementation, including virtual network segmentation, routing, access control lists, security groups, load balancing, network and web application firewalls, and caching.
- Administrate Linux, Windows, and containerized hosting environments
- Configure and maintain various Websites and applications, including Apache, IIS, PHP, Python, Scripting, Nodejs, .NET, Drupal, and Custom PHP applications
- Maintain and support MySQL/MariaDB, MS SQL Server, and MongoDB
- Configure and support DevOps pipelines and other system automations
- Maintain and support enterprise Gitlab, SFTP, Jira, Confluence, Crowd, and Bamboo
- Configure and integrate automated testing tools
- Ensure systems and services are up-to-date and promptly patched
- Standard Operating Procedures drafting, review & enhancement
- Research & Development
- Daily system heath-check
- Scheduled applications backups
- Capacity planning
- Applications services inventory management, including users inventory and resource utilization inventory e.g. I/O, storage, etc.
- Web applications and services security auditing.
- Web applications and services recovery & business continuity planning, including routine failover tests
- Incident management, including the resolution of hardware & software faults, application process failures, end-user issues & inquiries, etc, as well as security incident response.
- Problem management, including performance analysis, contention analysis, etc
- Request management, including creation of new users, new applications, application updates, password management, backups & restores, web site support and issues resolution, end-users requests, developers’ requests, system administrators’ requests, etc
- Disaster recovery management, including web services system failovers
- Change management, Release and deployment management and configuration management for Enterprise applications
- System logs and Web logs collection and analysis
- Performance monitoring and reviews against established baselines
- Performance report data generation and interpretation
- Identification of potential and actual performance bottlenecks caused by inappropriate system configuration and/or application design issues
- Root cause analysis and resolution of application-related performance issues in collaboration with application owners and infrastructure teams.
- Evaluation of web hosting requests, including performance impact analysis & security analysis, therefore confirm appropriateness of hosting in the central farm vs. isolation on a dedicated server.
- Troubleshooting web application performance issues.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The ICT Specialist – Web Services manages and engages in all operational aspects of content management, web applications and web services systems, ensuring those systems meet established service level agreements; manages and actively participates in projects of significant importance to the Organization; works with minimal supervision and in accordance with team’s goals; keeps abreast of available technology and shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in computer science, engineering or business administration or related field is required;
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in combination with two years of additional qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Work Experience / Language:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in software and system architecture design, maintenance, and support in an Enterprise Environment
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience managing and troubleshooting Apache, PHP based web applications in a Linux environment
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience managing and troubleshooting .NET web applications in Windows environment
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in the administration of highly-available, mission-critical systems with established High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) services.
- Experience in performance monitoring, performance tuning, and managing web services;
- Experience managing MySQL, MS SQL Server, and/or MongoDB in an Enterprise Environment
- Knowledge and experience in IP networking, routing, VPN, load balancing, firewalls, DNS, and connectivity troubleshooting;
- Knowledge and experience in Bash scripting, PowerShell scripting, Nodejs, and/or Python;
- Hands-on experience with Infrastructure as Code, using CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible, or other tools;
- Experience developing cloud native CI/CD workflows and tools, such as Jenkins, Bamboo, and Git;
- Familiarity with Storage Area Network systems and NFS storage systems;
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies, such as KVM and VMware;
- Experience with microservices and distributed application architecture, such as containers, Kubernetes, and/or serverless technology;
- Knowledge of various cloud (AWS and Azure) technologies, such as EKS/AKS, CDN, and WAF is a plus;
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills;
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL);
- Knowledge of project management methodologies such as PRINCE2.
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an asset.